Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holiday Surprise: What's On My Linux Gaming Desktop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snuwoods View Post
    WHAT?!?
    My allusion senses are tingling.
    I'd be careful reading more into that than there is...but his choices for words were...intriguing to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyDragon View Post
      after they confirmed not making a linux client.
      Ahh... People TOOK it as a confirmation that they weren't doing anything at all. Problem is...the answer they gave did nothing of the sort. It was a carefully worded statement I've seen used MANY times in the past when a company was holding their cards close to the vest. If they actually confirmed what the news sites arrived at, it would have been an outright denial. That isn't what they handed everyone.

I don't hold that Michael's right- but I also don't count myself as one of the detractors here. He's done this before on several occasions and been perfectly right all along in spite of the nay sayers. We're going to just have to sit back and see.

Then again.. seeing that we're working with valve time and "they're not working on it right now", then it's what.. 2 years into the future?
      Now you're framing it in the right way.

No telling what they're going to do it when- and everything they announce is in "valve time".

Comment

Originally posted by EarthMind View Post
        Haven't they found that engineer yet...? Or maybe they're looking for more than one. There are more than a handful of competent Linux software engineers so it'd surprise me if no one has applied yet.
        One would bet they're still hiring and that they've gotten a few bites. If I weren't committed for a couple of years on a long-term consulting gig for Covidien (Go look 'em up...), I might've tried to see what they had to say when the gig I had with Polycom kind of closed down early on me.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
          I don't hold that Michael's right- but I also don't count myself as one of the detractors here. He's done this before on several occasions and been perfectly right all along in spite of the nay sayers. We're going to just have to sit back and see.
          Well things don't always come about.
          Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And that WAS from an official spokesperson.

Comment

Originally posted by binstream View Post
            There are 4 generations of GUI style in this build, Michael captured the oldest one =)

Actually this build was used today for focus-testing, so we concentrated mainly on the gameplay.
            It looks promising. Can't wait to see more of it.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              Well things don't always come about.
              Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And that WAS from an official spokesperson.
              I'm aware of it. He's just been right often enough to give a smidge of a benefit of doubt his way. I'm sittin' on the fence on this one and seeing what unfolds.

We'll just have to see what comes in the coming months. I certainly didn't plan on being involved in a publication that's sold over 100k units so far when I took on the games I did over the last year and a half.

Comment

Well I'm of the opinion that I have to go with what was said from official sources until proven otherwise. We have all seen projects that were supposed to be coming to linux only to never been seen.

Comment

Well I'm of the opinion that I have to go with what was said from official sources until proven otherwise. We have all seen projects that were supposed to be coming to linux only to never been seen.
                  Yeah, but in this case, people are taking the item from the official source as a denial...which in this case, it wasn't, knowing how PR-speak goes. You're right, though, we've had some that were coming and ended up not coming for reasons we're still guessing at (Looks Epic Games' way here...).

Comment

And some we do know why and some release but never to the point of completion (such as Primal Rage and Serious Sam respectively).

Comment

And some we do know why and some release but never to the point of completion (such as Primal Rage and Serious Sam respectively).
                      In actuality, we only fully know why Primal Rage went the way it did, but we don't have the full story on Serious Sam (Ryan, Croteam, and the publisher are the only ones that know the full story there like with UT3's story... For the longest time, Prey's story was the same one, but eventually it came out...)

Comment

Working...
                      X