Valve's Alien Swarm Game For Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
    I can confirm that you and phoronix are just talking bollocks, and this is really all about raking in as much ad dollars as possible. I got this info from a highly reliable source. The source wishes to remain anonymous though, so you'll just have to take my word for it.

My inside sources also say that Phoronix are talking BULLSHIT

Seriously how long have phoronix been harping on about this, where is their statement that STEAM was coming to linux at the end of summer...

For quite some time now STEAM have been detecting if you are running it in WINE (prob to start taking a representative census)
    While Phoronix have been adement that STEAM is coming to linux and constantly stating such things "from an unnamed inside source) VALVE has also said they have no plans

Guess what, I have a source that say MS are bringing Office to Linux, I can divulge who it is or provide any firm evidence but it is coming

STEAM on linux is becoming a joke with Phoronix the court Jester.
    maybe it is, maybe it isn't. Maybe it will be here at the end of the year, maybe the end of next decade

BUT FFS sort out your fucking sensationalist journalism. For too long now such statements have been made with anecdotal "evidence" and hearsay being palmed off as firm proof that its gone beyond a joke

Comment

Originally posted by Naib View Post

For quite some time now STEAM have been detecting if you are running it in WINE (prob to start taking a representative census)
      Has it? I wasn't aware. Would you mind pointing me to where you got this information?

While Phoronix have been adement that STEAM is coming to linux and constantly stating such things "from an unnamed inside source) VALVE has also said they have no plans
      I don't remember them flat-out denying a client, but I do remember them saying that there was "No Linux version we're working on right now." There is a subtle difference between these two statements. Had they wanted to flat deny the client, they could have said "We don't intend to release a Linux client for Steam."

I submit that they obviously were working on such a client in some manner recently or the builds wouldn't have been discovered, but it's possible development might've been paused to get some other thing on their agenda polished up for shipping at the time the question was asked.

My whole point here is that PR people are sneaky, and these answers are carefully crafted responses. I'm betting Valve was fully prepared for the Linux question in that interview, and had a hobnob about it well before they ever took their seats. At the very least this news would not surprise me in the least.

Comment

My inside sources also say that Phoronix are talking BULLSHIT
        I like Michael, but my sources are saying the same thing.

Comment

I am 100% sure you find LINUX support in every source game, but mainly used for the dedicated server part... I would like to see a client of course too, but grep -Ri linux * does not give any usefull results.

Comment

Originally posted by Havner View Post

I might be willing to accept the bet. Just tell me why September? Do you know something? :-) (yeah, conspiracy theories)
            Because September is the end of summer 2011. I don't work for Valve or have ANY insider information. I work for telecom in Canada on IPTV.
            I get what you're saying about the article. I actually like it when there's small hints of a linux client. The reality of it is, if Michael posts anything with "linux" and "steam" in the headline, I will read it . Pipe dreams or not, I really want to see it happen. And knowing Valve has integrity, I'm positive that influential staff is pushing for it to happen or has been for a long time.

And I read the article you linked in response to my comment. You can read it again, it has no indication of anything whatsoever, just a marketing guy said that they aren't working on a linux version during an interview. I wouldn't consider that an ultimate official statement on the subject.

I'm definitely still on for the 50$ bet. I'm wondering if you would be willing to accept it in steam games to make things easier? :P

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
              i read this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_C._Gordon

very impressiv it locks like he is linux gaming himself.

very cool.
              He almost is that... There's a small group of other players in the field past and present, with myself included, that have done Linux game development over the years- but he's done more work than most of us.

Comment

EDIT: steam games of your choice

Comment

Originally posted by W3ird_N3rd View Post
                  I think they'll get Steam for Linux when it's done. Perhaps in time for Duke Nukem Forever.
                  Heh... Considering that the expected timeframe is now much less than forever for the game...I'd be somewhat guarded in stating things like that...

Comment

They'll skip steam for linux and go directly steam for hurd.

Comment

I don't know if someone has already mentioned it. You may call me a conspiracy theorist and all that, but let me tell you why UT3 never got a Linux version:

Microsoft pressure.

UT3 is not a simple game, like many naive Linux users believe. Its engine has been used extensively for many games in consoles and Windows. UT3 sucks as a game, but its engine powers some of the best games of this generation. If Unreal engine 3 were ported to Linux, it would be easy to port those other games too. Especially if a Linux client was available at launch.

Since Epic and Microsoft have close ties, Epic wouldn't want to make a move against Microsoft. That is why the Linux client was left to die, and eventually cancelled.

Steam is another thing entirely. It is a distribution platform of games. You may not see it now, but that is where the future is. Downloadable games. Eventually those shiny DVDs you buy will stop getting released, because internet distribution has many benefits for both companies and gamers.

It makes sense to have a Linux client. If only for the bragging rights of being the only internet platform to deliver universally to all users. Not only for PCs, but for smartphones too. Steam will eventually compete with Apple's store and Microsoft's similar offer.

It is a matter of time for a Linux port. It make still take many years from now to be officially released, but it WILL come, no matter what. Be patient and look ahead of our times.

Comment

Working...
                      X