Valve's Alien Swarm Game For Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Michael has mentioned several times that he has a reliable inside source within Valve telling him these things, he just can't mention the guy's name in public. Whether you believe Michael or not is up to you, but I'd say it's much better than a rumor. What I wouldn't have done was started claiming it was "official" like Phoronix did, because it's still unofficial until it's publicly announced.
    Finally a reply that adds something to the subject. I wasn't aware of this "secret source" in Valve of Michaels. Can you point me where he said something about it? I haven't found anything in news and I don't read these forums.

And completely agree about the second part. Even if he knows this first hand it's still unofficial (could be considered something better then rumor though). And claiming it will be there just like it was announced is still a bad journalism if you ask me.

Comment

Valve may let some developers doing tests port for linux without any real intention to release their engine on it. As game developer for a studio specialized on games for smart phones, I often do ports test for new OS. Some of our ports fully works and we don't necessary released our games on those OS. Because their is some other things need to be checked for the final decision.
      We merge all working code, that why I am not really surprise to see Valve doing something similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
        ut3 used techniques of openGL3+ in a time the only openGL version for linux driver was 2.
        So? The Mesa/R600 driver supports various OpenGL3 and OpenGL4 features, via extensions, despite officially being only an OpenGL 2.1 driver. This is the nature of OpenGL. Pain in the ass to use compared to Direct3D9+, but the version number is a lot less important than with D3D and limitations in the core graphics stack are irrelevant to individual drivers.

Plus the proprietary drivers have supported OpenGL 3 (and now 4) on Linux at the same time they supported them on Windows. Even if Steam on Linux came out today, I'd expect most of the catalog to require the proprietary drivers to run at playable speeds on native resolutions and decent quality settings. (Compiz on an HD 4770 on Linux can barely run two 1080p monitors without chugging along, despite me being able to crank just about any modern game up to the highest settings at 1080p on Win7 on this machine; the FOSS drivers are making a lot of progress and coming along nicely, but they're not suitable for hardcore gaming by any stretch of the imagination... not yet.)

Comment

ut3 used techniques of openGL3+ in a time the only openGL version for linux driver was 2.1
          Umm, nope, UT3 engine was designed for DX9 hardware as well which should be covered by OGL 2.1

and ut3 used nvidia physX and 3 years ago physX do not run on linux.
          Again not true. UT3 could use Physx. It was not a requirement. In fact IIRC the physx enabled levels had to be downloaded and were not part of the actual release. Also Physx is available for linux. In fact LGP even released a game utilizing it. Shadowgrounds.

Linux Game Publishing - Producing commercial games for Linux

NVIDIA PhysX physics only available on the Linux version!
          today you can play ut3 on linux with wine if you have openGL3.3+

and this makes an port very easy today!!!!!! but 3 years ago wine also can not run ut3.
          What? UT3 has been running in wine for a long long long time. Even the demo was playable in wine way back then.

Open Source Software for running Windows applications on other operating systems.

Comment

Originally posted by byteframe View Post
            As the following been discussed? Ok, so even if Valve were to commit to Linux, that would mean only a small number of games (source and others) would be native.
            Heh... It'd be a bit bigger than that... Caster, the HIB #1 set, Source derived games (HL2, Postal3, a few others?), probably a handful of others. An odd remark was made by a Hothead employee about the prospects of a Linux version of Deathspank/Deathspank:TOV..."Not until there's a version of Steam for Linux..." If it wasn't going to at-all happen, I'm afraid the answer would've been different. There've been some similar odd remarks like it that've been made elsewhere.

I won't tell you that it's happening. I couldn't, even if I knew something. But I'm not of the opinion that it's out of the question like some in this thread and in the forums. Something's afoot, but nobody will tell you what yet.

Comment

I might also add that there is also a new linux port of Physx (CPU only) in the works and is anticipated to be out shortly.

Comment

ut3 used techniques of openGL3+ in a time the only openGL version for linux driver was 2.1

and ut3 used nvidia physX and 3 years ago physX do not run on linux.
                Uh... If that's the quality of your information from your sources...I would be inclined to believe that it's not coming. Seriously.

PhysX was available on Linux- you just didn't have the drivers for the hardware acceleration part of the API- which is all PhysX is. That card they were selling? That was a PhysX accelerator.

today you can play ut3 on linux with wine if you have openGL3.3+

and this makes an port very easy today!!!!!! but 3 years ago wine also can not run ut3.
                Heh... It was already ported Qaridarium. It never got shipped because of issues between icculus and Epic- but it was already running and didn't NEED 3.3. Get your info right, please...

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  Michael has mentioned several times that he has a reliable inside source within Valve telling him these things, he just can't mention the guy's name in public. Whether you believe Michael or not is up to you, but I'd say it's much better than a rumor. What I wouldn't have done was started claiming it was "official" like Phoronix did, because it's still unofficial until it's publicly announced.
                  Indeed. That's my main beef with all of this.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                    I can confirm that you and phoronix are just talking bollocks, and this is really all about raking in as much ad dollars as possible. I got this info from a highly reliable source. The source wishes to remain anonymous though, so you'll just have to take my word for it.
                    Riight. I know for a fact that he's done this once before and I questioned him much like you guys are doing right now. However, the AMD stuff he was going on about in the same manner DID come to pass- and a bit later than he claimed. Now, before you dismiss this...Michael DID use things in recent times like an internal Codename for the driver codebase that only people within ATI/AMD or those NDAed before the release of the Windows drivers when Vista rolled out would've known about.

I'm willing to sit back and see if he's right again.

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
                      Yes, Wayland is likely to be how things are - but we can't say it with 100% certainty. Might be something stopping it later, or it may be deemed unsuitable due to [insert whatever here]. Just learned to wait until things are in actual shape to start being widespread before claiming that everyone will adopt it.
                      Yeah, damn media tried to sell me Betamax and HD-DVD :P

Comment

Working...
                      X