Alien Arena 2011 Game Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
    It's almost 2011, would you please stop using autotools?
    What's your preferred build system of the week?

Cmake - ya just time how long it takes to figure out how to set prefix and destdir
    Scons - impossible to pass custom PKG_CONFIG_PATH etc to the build. Also really hard to set prefix, destdir, etc. Also python, ewww.

Oh and if something breaks, it's a load harder to fix in the above two than in autotools.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post

Cmake - ya just time how long it takes to figure out how to set prefix and destdir
      Scons - impossible to pass custom PKG_CONFIG_PATH etc to the build. Also really hard to set prefix, destdir, etc. Also python, ewww.

Oh and if something breaks, it's a load harder to fix in the above two than in autotools.
      Cmake exports project files for the significant IDE's on all platforms when you are ready to enter the 21'st century.

Scons: export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/path/to/the/21st/century

Comment

Software doesn't come with an expiry date. The wheel, -9th century tech, still works great.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
          What is this? Quake 3 with an alien theme?
          Aren't all fps's that?

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
            What is this? Quake 3 with an alien theme?
            I think the best way to describe it is that it's a mix between Quake III and Unreal Tournament, taking some elements from each, and wrapping it up with a retro sci-fi theme. In 2008 we changed the theme a bit, still keeping it retro, but given it a more modern, sinister, and darker take on that.

The gameplay is probably most similar to Unreal Tournament, but with much faster physics. The physics are similar to Quake II, with some changes, such as dodging, and a few tweaks(as well as bugfixes over Q2). The weapons are definitely different from either Q3 or UT, though you do have a rocket launcher, chaingun, and railgun-like weapon(I think every single deathmatch FPS has these). There are weapons like the smartgun(sort of a grenade launcher that can electrocute), beamgun(rapid firing beam weapon), flamethrower, and vaporizer(slow firing/warmup monstrosity), that you won't find anything really similar to in Q3 or UT. Health system is near identical to Q3, but there is a UT like reward system. Overall the weapons are a little more powerful than either game, resulting in very rapid gameplay and scoring.

The engine has received a lot of our attention over the last two years, with many aspects being completely(and some still in the process) of being rewritten. We've changed primary model formats, rendered most everything using GLSL, added ragdoll physics, added a realistic and all encompassing shadowing system, rewritten the sound system, as well as made some very major optimizations along the way. As much as things had changed from the 2004-2007 version to 2008, it's changed even more from the 2008 to 2011 versions. It's an ongoing process though, and at the moment we are writing a completely new GUI. I'd post a roadmap, but we like to keep these things a bit secret until we are sure they can be accomplished by our team. I recall one criticism was that we don't develop tools for people to create media, but all one needs to create media for the engine is Blender, Radiant, and Gimp. All excellent, and free programs.

The best part about the engine though is that it's still very scaleable to older hardware. Any GL 1.5 or higher capable chip should be able to run the game with lower settings enabled.

Comment

That game just keeps getting better
              Although you now get no precomplied binary, the instructions make the whole thing a breeze.

Comment

Alien Arena is legendary game. It has most heavy graphics from all opensource/freeware games at the moment. And its very beautiful, although too much alien )). On 4770/w opensource radeon driver, fullhd@32, Openarena gives me 60 fps. Alienarena with 15 is unplayable, so heavy it is. But when you use polished drivers(like proprietary nvidia, I had before, in gt9800 times) it was very fast and playable.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                  Alien Arena is legendary game. It has most heavy graphics from all opensource/freeware games at the moment. And its very beautiful, although too much alien )). On 4770/w opensource radeon driver, fullhd@32, Openarena gives me 60 fps. Alienarena with 15 is unplayable, so heavy it is. But when you use polished drivers(like proprietary nvidia, I had before, in gt9800 times) it was very fast and playable.
                  Did you turn down graphic settings in the game?

Comment

CMake's shaping up that way.

-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=<foo>

Not hard... This isn't to say that CMake's the answer for things- but it seems that it's a better one than many. And I'll challenge you to cobble together a CMake set over an autotools one for a new project. I've tried to do autotools setups- and fix them when they're broken. CMake actually seemed easier for my circumstances.

The python part's no different than m4/bash that autotools uses... I will give you the others, though- Scons is of somewhat limited usefulness if you're doing something "fancy". For that, CMake or autotools is better.

That's familiarity. autotools is a baroque answer to a problem that's just simply less screwy than imake was. More to the point, autotools is really only Linux/POSIX centric. It doesn't do well outside of that- and sadly, you DO have to deal with Windows for some things... (We won't get into the fact that autotools is two kludges on top of ./configure that were done to compensate for ./configure and Makefile deficiencies...)

Comment

Software doesn't come with an expiry date. The wheel, -9th century tech, still works great.
                      Heh... But, the big deal is...you're not using that -9th century version of it, now are you? (Where's the stone or wooden wheels on your vehicle...hm?)

CMake and Scons are not replacing/reinventing the wheel as your analogy implies, but more akin to the refinements we see with wheels such as you see on most cars or motorcycles.

Comment

Working...
                      X