No announcement yet.

The Humble Indie Bundle #2 Has Arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update to my last post: the fatal bug in Braid is related to the shipped version of libstdc++.so.6 in the amd64 build. Game works fine if I let it link to my system's libstdc++.so.6. So good job icculus as well!

Comment

• Cortex Command

I have CC segfaulting on start. All that appears in the terminal is

xxxx@Blackline:~/CortexCommand$ ./CortexCommand
      Attempting to start PulseAudio sound driver
      AL lib: pulseaudio.c:485: Context did not connect: Connection refused
      [Error] Failed to Create OpenAL Device.
      [Error] OpenAL Error: (null).
      PulseAudio unavailable, attempting next sound driver...
      Attempting to start ALSA sound driver
      Initialized sound against ALSA sound driver.
      Shutting down Allegro due to signal #11
      Segmentation fault

System is Ubuntu 10.04 32 bit Nvidia AMD CPU

Comment

• Originally posted by Larian View Post
        System is Ubuntu 10.04 32 bit Nvidia AMD CPU
        Several things:

1) Did you disable PulseAudio?
        2) What sound chipsets?

My development environment consists of a 32-bit and 64-bit install of 10.4 and there's something up with your configuration.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
          Several things:

1) Did you disable PulseAudio?
          2) What sound chipsets?

My development environment consists of a 32-bit and 64-bit install of 10.4 and there's something up with your configuration.
          First, awesome turnaround time on this reply. It's unbelievably appreciated.

But yes, PulseAudio is disabled in favor of ALSA. My sound card is a PCI Audigy with 5.1 surround.

Is there any specific terminal command I should run to give you more detailed info?

Comment

• How about deleting the libopenal.so.1 and using the system wide one?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kano View Post
              How about deleting the libopenal.so.1 and using the system wide one?
              Moved libopenal.so.1 out of my CortexCommand/libs directory and onto the Desktop. Same results as before:

[Error] Failed to Create OpenAL Device.
              [Error] OpenAL Error: (null).
              PulseAudio unavailable, attempting next sound driver...
              Attempting to start ALSA sound driver
              Initialized sound against ALSA sound driver.
              Segmentation fault

ALSA seems to be starting, (I don't have any issues with it anywhere else that I'm aware of). Is there any way we can see what Allegro is choking on?

Comment

• Originally posted by Larian View Post
                That's a bit troubling... It's attempting to use PulseAudio which should've simply gave you the failure to open notice and moved to ALSA- how did you "disable" Pulse, if I may ask?

ALSA seems to be starting, (I don't have any issues with it anywhere else that I'm aware of). Is there any way we can see what Allegro is choking on?
                I don't know if it's Allegro choking or not. You're going to get the response you're seeing if it has a segfault within anything- and even if it was Allegro choking, the only good way is with a debug build...

So, let me verify the facts. AMD. 10.4, 32-bits. Pulse disabled. Audigy. (Sigh...the one thing I DON'T have in hand right at the moment... ) Right?

I guess first thing would be to find out how you're disabling Pulse and see if I can reproduce it on my stuff, followed by the same attempt with an Audigy...

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                  That's a bit troubling... It's attempting to use PulseAudio which should've simply gave you the failure to open notice and moved to ALSA- how did you "disable" Pulse, if I may ask?
                  Heh, you're going to kill me in the face for this, but here ya go.

I followed those instructions verbatim. They're a bit long and not exactly a turn-key solution, but that's what I did. In fact, that swap works so well that I wouldn't have thought it to be a suspect here, (although nothing surprises me anymore.) Maybe I've just been lucky?

So, let me verify the facts. AMD. 10.4, 32-bits. Pulse disabled. Audigy. (Sigh...the one thing I DON'T have in hand right at the moment... ) Right?
                  That's correct, yes. (And I've found one will always need precisely the tool for the job that's gone missing. Also, I'm bitter. )

I guess first thing would be to find out how you're disabling Pulse and see if I can reproduce it on my stuff, followed by the same attempt with an Audigy...
                  Okie dokie. Those instructions are pretty clear and they worked right out of the gate for me. I'm willing to re-install PulseAudio if I've really got to, but I'm trying not to "got to", you know?

Comment

• But now that I think of it, I remember seeing that "connection refused" error before in another program... pSX I believe it was. Don't think it's a permissions error either as sudo didn't work. I had to update the client to get it working again.

This error wasn't in evidence at the time I did the PA - ALSA swap. pSX worked great for a long time before an update (no idea which one) borked it.

Comment

• got the same error but after installing pulseaudio & enabling it, i got this:
                      $ ./CortexCommand
                      Initialized sound against PulseAudio sound driver.
                      ./CortexCommand: line 4: 5387 Segmentation fault ./CortexCommand.bin "$@"

Comment

Working...
                      X