Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by centx View Post
    Thanks for the tip, I had the same problem here

Also, regarding Cortex command: I set's both of my screens in clone mode (think someone has mentioned this already), and I can't alt+tab, which would've been nice to be able to do. (in Osmos this works)

I like the intro

(damn 1 min edit time )

Comment

So far what do people think of the games? I'm been playing braid first and it seems OK. I've had a quick go on cortex command as well and its appears like an interesting idea. Has anyone played any of the games though?

World of Goo for me was the clear stand out game in the first bundle and raised my overall impression of the pack. Does this pack have any stand out games? Or was World of Goo a real one off for indi games?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        Would be interesting to know what caused the problem.
        Overlapping strcpys...

Something of a brown paper bag over the head moment for someone (not me...)- and I'm going through and making sure there's no more of them lurking or similar oopses.

Apparently there's an Intel specific optimization in libc that it trips across...

Btw. i reported a very simple hotfix for the bad RevengeOfTheTitans debs in the wolfire irc channel and mailed puppygames, did not even get a mail back... The hotfix is extra simple, can be used with i386 and amd64, just take it as example:
        Code:
        dpkg-deb -x RevengeOfTheTitans-HIB-i386.deb RevengeOfTheTitans
        dpkg-deb -e RevengeOfTheTitans-HIB-i386.deb RevengeOfTheTitans/DEBIAN
        dpkg-deb -b RevengeOfTheTitans
        sudo dpkg -i RevengeOfTheTitans.deb
        The problem existed because the deb was generated in a strange way with leading / in the tar, as you even see in the DEBIAN/md5sums, which usually do NOT contain leading /, but that's not that critical.
        I'll see if they're working on it...

Comment

Originally posted by Xipeos View Post
          Any distro. Tried it on my LFS with gnome, LFS without gnome, and live Ubuntu 10.10. As I mentioned, error only happens if the install path contains spaces (i.e. /home/Cortex Command rather than /home/CortexCommand).
          Hm... Mojoinstaller's supposed to be able to handle that... I'll start trying that here so we can close THAT particular hole. Thanks!

So you're doing the Cortex Command port? That's awesome; guess we'll get patches after all
          Definitely. Right now I'm sorting out the issues that're showing up that didn't show in the testing of the game. This issue with the installer is one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevertime View Post
            So far what do people think of the games?
            World 4 of Braid makes me want to punch a baby.

Comment

I must say I liked the first Humble more, World of Goo and Aquaria were really outstanding. I couldn't play Braid so far (due to the OpenGL bug I posted before) and I like Osmos, Machinarium seems nice and really pretty, but these are not games that would reach the professional level of Aquaria or World of Goo. (well, maybe Machinarium is pretty in a professional way, but it's not so complicated and I suspect it's short - as Samorost2 was). Cortex Command and Revenge of the Titans are OK, but those are little games that look just like... indie games. I'd say World of Goo and Aquaria looked like professional ones even though developed independently.

Also, no 3D games in the second bundle.

tl;dr: There are IMHO no games in this bundle (maybe except of Braid as I didn't try it) that would be so good as Aquaria and World of Goo from the first bundle.

Comment

The second pack has games which look more like toys plus they are more or less arcade/puzzle style. The first pack had Penumbra Overture which doesn't seem like an indie game at all plus Lugaru wasn't arcade/puzzle as well.
                Number 1 was by far more complete than the second offer and we must not forget that 4 of the 5 games were opensourced.

Comment

Also, there weren't any significant errors in Linux versions of games in the first bundle. Here we have Braid that doesn't work, Cortex Command providing disfunctional 64-bit version and Revenge of the Titans with a simple bug in deb creation (the solution posted above worked for me, even for amd64 edition). So, no problem for me only with installation process of Osmos and Machinarium (the latter to be a Flash game so packaging it must have been easy).

I think there was far too little testing. I guess anyone who would try RotT just once in Debian/Ubuntu would see the package's broken...

The first bundle showed it's not impossible to properly test Linux versions before actually selling them, and games there were more complicated. I think such mistakes shouldn't happen in games not available for free. Yes, I know you could get them for $1, but some people paid $100 or more and if they haven't read forums only after paying they could see some packages are broken.

I can live with that but I'd rather see more testing, less rush next time.

Comment

Originally posted by m_gol View Post
                    The first bundle showed it's not impossible to properly test Linux versions before actually selling them, and games there were more complicated. I think such mistakes shouldn't happen in games not available for free. Yes, I know you could get them for $1, but some people paid $100 or more and if they haven't read forums only after paying they could see some packages are broken.
                    Do you know why it was dysfunctional on 64-bits? It's because it wasn't a known problem until the testers moved to the problem configurations at the last moment. It's broken on 64-bit Intel with the latest libc- and pretty much only that. If you didn't have any testers testing with that, you'd have NEVER found it.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                      Do you know why it was dysfunctional on 64-bits? It's because it wasn't a known problem until the testers moved to the problem configurations at the last moment. It's broken on 64-bit Intel with the latest libc- and pretty much only that. If you didn't have any testers testing with that, you'd have NEVER found it.
                      I've experienced the same problem with OpenArena on Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit (CPU: Intel Core2 Duo P8600), it didn't work because of strcpy used with overlapping strings, too. (by the way, it's still not fixed in Lucid repositories) So the issue would be present on the most popular desktop Linux distro in its 64-bit edition at least from April which gives us 8 months.

Nonetheless, I didn't want to say I don't appreciate your work. I don't regret money I spent on Humble2 even though I liked the first one more and there were less problems with it. I just think next time it would be nice to test all bundled games just for a couple of minutes each (if it installs, if menu works OK, if missions load properly etc.) about a month or two before deploying the bundle, at least on the most popular distros. If you (or whoever is responsible for the bundle) don't have enough manpower you could always give those games for free to just a couple of usual users in exchange for testing on their specific platforms. Just an idea.

Comment

Working...
                      X