Unigine Announces The Three New Linux Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wheels View Post
    I'd really like to see a customizable-mech combat game along the lines of the Armored Core series.
    This SO MUCH. Especially if done at least like AC2/AC2:AA. It was the obsession of me and my friends for a good 2 years.I specialized in just energy weapons, especially getting in close with the saber. Had to have all the Human+ enhancements to make that fully effective.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      I actually know 2 former EA artists and two former EA coders (who worked on the Madden and NHL series) that were willing to do all the artwork for a CFL game. Finding a proper engine was a challenge though as they found most of the community based engines lacking.
      Really? Would they still be interested in coming up with assets?

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        Just thought I would throw this link in
        http://www.pastapadre.com/2010/10/14...-for-ea-sports
        The problem with an indie creating a sports game is that they have to compete with EA. The kind of sports games that have proven to sell reliably are those that license the rights of a popular professional league, and no indie studio is going to be able to outbid EA for those.

Which leaves them working in the margins - either try to make up names or license a much lesser known league (like the CFL you mentioned), or focus more heavily on the sports sim side, or other kinds of more creative types of games, like the NFL Blitz/NBA Jam, or adding tower defense elements into it, etc.

Now a sports game following one of those ideas is certainly possible, but I suspect it's seen as a much bigger risk and more difficult to create than something like a FPS or puzzle game, which is why EA has pretty much locked up the sports genre.

Comment

Originally posted by Wheels View Post
          I'd really like to see a customizable-mech combat game along the lines of the Armored Core series.
          Lol YES!!!! This times a thousand.

(How the hell did I miss this post? )

Comment

Congratulations to the winning teams. They got a nice piece of software and I hope they bring their projects to good term.
            About the sort of games that will come out of this contest, please stop complaining and write your own game if you disagree with the decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
              Yep. Got it in one.

The mechanics are doable- the assets are the tough part and why only a few companies do this stuff, mainly because of the expense involved with the production of the assets for the title.
              Nah, the reason you don't see a plethora of sports games these days is entirely due to EA having exclusive rights to EVERY major sporting league.

Think back to the 90's, the days of the Playstation, every company worth it's salt had at least a football title. The best ones where the ones that made no attempt at realism and added in all kinds of special effects and moves, and the ones that let you be a complete idiot.

These titles where almost pure profit, just rehash everything and shine up the graphics and hello new game, same as the old game.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                Nah, the reason you don't see a plethora of sports games these days is entirely due to EA having exclusive rights to EVERY major sporting league.
                Really? explain this: http://www.2ksports.com/games/nba2k11/

That would seem to violate their "exclusive" rights.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                  Isn't the licensing from NFL, NHL, MBA, etc. part of the expense of the assets?

Comment

Working...
                  X