X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I forgot to mention Prey

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      One other advantage that sports games has as well is that they are easily "updated" to the latest sports development (rosters, teams, stats) and are often sold as a new product the next season (such as NHL 07,08,09) and they have a high replay value.
      There is a deceptive amount of art that goes into making it seem that Sports Games are "easily" updated.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
        There is a deceptive amount of art that goes into making it seem that Sports Games are "easily" updated.
        Yep. Got it in one.

The mechanics are doable- the assets are the tough part and why only a few companies do this stuff, mainly because of the expense involved with the production of the assets for the title.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
          The only kind of sport game that has hopes to sell is rally.
          I'm keen on that idea, myself. (Not to mention I might actually get my stepson involved with things since he's REALLY keen on racing titles.)

The big problem there is that you're going to still be dealing with the traditional way of dealing with things in the industry since the publishers can't think much past that in many cases. I'll keep an eye out for an indie or an un-signed AAA studio for that sort of thing as part of my January-February endeavors on things.

Comment

Originally posted by binstream View Post
            It's a bit naively to expect avalanche of AAA titles on Linux in a moment, it will take some time to create the viable market, which will appeal big players like EA, Activision and so on. But to get there, we need to make steps towards this direction. This competition is a single step towards better gaming on Linux, that's it. Anyway we will keep going this direction, but please be patient.
            I am. I'm about to see some of those results this week- hopefully as another single step towards better gaming on Linux.

And, you'd be right on what you're doing. Many want INSTANT results. Sadly, anything worthwhile takes effort and time- and I think you're going about this the right way on the stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              Every game you can come out with with alienate some group, there is no preventing that but sports games have the benefit of being a genre that a lot of people can relate to in real life.
              An RPG game will approach the genre's fans around the world.
              A sport game will approach the genre's fans around the region that the specific sport is played.
              Different things, don't confuse them.

Originally posted by Svartalf
              I'm keen on that idea, myself. (Not to mention I might actually get my stepson involved with things since he's REALLY keen on racing titles.)
              Yeah I believe a rally game has a lot a potential to become succesful. Much more than basketball, baseball or hockey
              Involved in what way?

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                An RPG game will approach the genre's fans around the world.
                A sport game will approach the genre's fans around the region that the specific sport is played.
                Different things, don't confuse them.
                Not confusing them at all. The genre itself however is large enough that the continuously are on the top sellers lists year after year as each sport season approaches. As far as being a localize phenomenon goes that also isn't a sports game exclusive. Sports games alone have their own separate division with the largest game publisher out there. No other genre has that. There must be a reason why that is.

Yeah I believe a rally game has a lot a potential to become succesful. Much more than basketball, baseball or hockey
                Involved in what way?
                Doubt it. It's a "sport" (and I use that term loosely) that is a available to only a precious few in real life. Even going by a single game comparison like Colin McCrae rally vs Madden, Madden crushes in sales.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                  I actually know 2 former EA artists and two former EA coders (who worked on the Madden and NHL series) that were willing to do all the artwork for a CFL game. Finding a proper engine was a challenge though as they found most of the community based engines lacking.

Comment

Just thought I would throw this link in
                    September was big for EA Sports as their three most recent games finished in the top five in sales for the month. Unfortunately NPD has decided to no longer

Comment

Originally posted by binstream View Post
                      It's a bit naively to expect avalanche of AAA titles on Linux in a moment
                      I certainly wasn't asking for that... (not that I'd complain! ) I was hoping for something well planned out and interesting that also would use Unigens potential. Using it's potential doesn't mean that you need a hollywood production crew. In fact many of the most interesting games imho that have come out or are coming out are being done by very small teams on limited budgets. World of Goo, Tiny and Big, Overgrowth, Minecraft etc. etc. I'd take proposals like any of these any day before whay we've seen presented here.

I'm just hoping that sheer lack of interestingness (if there is such a word) comes down to the press release not sharing a whole bunch of great plans behind the scene. Having been involved in making some games, it all comes down to scope, talent and planning imo. What I see here worries me on all three counts.

Comment

Working...
                      X