Unigine Announces The Three New Linux Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by werfu View Post
    I think I was assuming they were looking for indie studios only.... Giving licenses to established studios is somewhat disappointing.
    I think you misunderstand what "Indie" means.

Besides, a nobody, unless they've got a compelling story is going to be a rather big risk, even if you're talking about a "mere" $50k license there. The truth of the matter is this: They wanted to give the Linux space a leg up- and give themselves a bit of good advertising, esp. with the crowd most likely to be signing up for the engine. If it were me, I'd go with someone moderately likely to succeed with the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
      This a the most best fucking news from a long time.
      I mean, those guys at unigine deals a stuff that no-one has ever made that much before.
      I'm still confident that the linux community, is, in gaming, much more powerfull than it's supposed to be.
      I'm confident too that Linux title will help other editors to systematically release Linux clients, as they will see that the linux market can't be ignored completely.
      Well, there's a reason WHY I've been putting myself through some of this "abuse" I call game porting for a while now.

I'm hoping that the HIB #2 does as much as HIB #1 did for us.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        One other genre that has next to no representation at all in linux is a freaking sports game.
        Couldn't be because there's a need for a lot of work to accomplish a good one and people like EA's mostly got the market locked down for just themselves- and they, in the large, don't do Linux right at the moment...could it?

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
          Couldn't be because there's a need for a lot of work to accomplish a good one and people like EA's mostly got the market locked down for just themselves- and they, in the large, don't do Linux right at the moment...could it?
          Create a sports game that allows one to input create own favorite team and the rest would take care of itself. You don't even need an "official license" from any league going that route or even go after the smaller leagues if you want to have an endorsement. I'll just use football for an example. You could make a football game that allows a person to choose the rules that follows (NCAA, NFL, UFL, CFL, CIS) and let the community create their own teams. Alternatively you could go after the smaller leagues for endorsements. I know in Canada we have been crying for a CFL game for decades. Perhaps one could even go joint license (UFL and CFL for example). Baseball you have your AAA leagues, hockey you have junior and the likes of the AHL.

I don't believe that anyone should use the excuse that "XYZ has the market cornered". If that was the case then nobody should be using anything other then windows.

Comment

All that being said, who was ever the dumb ass moron at EA that decided US commentators in their NHL series would be better then the crew that does Hockey Night in Canada should be shot. Having Ron MacLean and Don Cherry would of added a new dimension to that sport series.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              All that being said, who was ever the dumb ass moron at EA that decided US commentators in their NHL series would be better then the crew that does Hockey Night in Canada should be shot. Having Ron MacLean and Don Cherry would of added a new dimension to that sport series.
              300 Million Americans : 35 million Canadians... do the math for the largest market.

Comment

It's "Anderson II: The Rise of R'lyeh," not the rise of Cthulu.

The premise sounds horribly hackneyed and cheesy, mixing Lovecraft's Cthulu mythology with silly Mayan interpretations in a bad way.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                  300 Million Americans : 35 million Canadians... do the math for the largest market.
                  Lol, 300 million in population and probably is dwarfed by the actual number of people following hockey in Canada.

Comment

Seriously you watch a US broadcast hockey game and you would swear the announcers were calling a slow paced baseball game. There aren't to many US play-by-play men that can keep up to the colour commentators that Canada has calling hockey.

Comment

Congratulations to the winners. I am looking forwards to meeting the teams.

Comment

Working...
                      X