Good News Out Of Unigine's Linux Game Competition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Note, also the following from their ModDB page (emphasis is mine):

"it was previously announced on ModDB as a fantasy total conversion for Crysis. This time however, it's being produced as a standalone game for both Linux and Windows"

So, uh... what exactly happened recently to get you to switch from CryEngine to another engine that supports Linux and windows?.... Me wonders....

Comment

Yay, this linux gaming excitement makes me feel warm and fuzzy :E

Comment

i think Michael knows something this time :]

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
          You do realize valve implicitly denied these claims.
          ... and you'd expect them to admit they are working on it? Seriously, what if they aren't 100% certain that they'll finish it? Do you really think they would repeat Epic on this one? I doubt they want that, so in essence they can't officially confirm that they're working on it before they know for sure it will be finished no matter what happens. Of course, there's the chance that they aren't working on a linux client at all, but Valve denying doesn't confirm this, as they could be covering their bases and not creating false hope.

Comment

Originally posted by AnorexiasGrizzli View Post
            i think Michael knows something this time :]
            If steam doesn't come to linux after all this, Michael will have lots of angry phoronix viewers at his doorstep... with baseball bats... with rusty nails on top... dipped in poison(1).

It's great that there's a possibility of at least three more games coming to linux, specially as they should help to push the envelope on graphics quality.
            I'm not surprised about the late submissions to the contest, as some people tend to work to the very last minute to get everything as best as it can be.

(1) If indeed Michael suffers some kind of "accident" in the case of steam not coming to linux after all, I hereby deny any involvement in that matter.

Comment

We all know Steam is coming to GNU/Linux. A serious company like Valve does not 1) hire engineers to port games to a platform and then 2) create and send a client to beta testers without planning to release the product. Every company denies an upcoming product until it's announced, that's common practice. But I don't think even Valve knows for sure when the product will be finished, there is a lot of testing and packaging to do, and I think it would be months or even years before the client is finished. The client will be eventually released unless the board decide to abandon the project, wich is unlikely since they still want to hire more GNU/Linux developers and the coding for the project is mostly done.

I'm no fan of Steam myself, and I dislike DRM. But I think Steam for GNU/Linux will bring a lot of more games.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                I find it curios about the lack of OSX support (could be no machines, no people- I'd have a few issues with providing versions of a title without those... ) but we'll just have to see. They'd be foolish to not do OSX support if they can at all help it- about as foolish as not doing Linux versions in light of all that's going on right now.
                As far as I can tell MacOS didn't support a recent enough version of OpenGL for Unigine that and probably no machines. MacOS support is slated for 2011 though (probably Lion only).

Comment

I do hope that all 3 games are a different genre and we get variety. Even thoughI'm a RPG guy at heart I'd most want a platformer. What I'd least want is an FPS. If there's one thing there is plenty of on Linux (or any platform for that matter) it's FPSs.

Comment

good, cant wait for 2011

Comment

Linux lacks resource based strategy games. Do we have any commercial one? There was Theocracy once, but this is dead and burried years ago.

Comment

Working...
                      X