[Petition] StarCraft II for Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Petition] StarCraft II for Linux

After reading this thread I thought this might be of interest.

Some of you might have already seen that Blizzard announced StarCraft II just recently. For me, personally, this means that a wish finally comes true. I'm not much of a computer gamer anymore. But StarCraft is one of the best games I've played ever! And after I've seen the Cinematic trailer and the Gameplay movie I'm pretty sure that I will get this game.

Anyway, there is already a petition online asking for Linux Installers for Blizzard products and therefore for StarCraft II for Linux. You can find it here.

P.S.: The trailer and gameplay movie can be found on GamersHell.
    Last edited by Janusz11; 21 May 2007, 06:59 PM.

I'm sure this petition had more credence if it was people posting on Battle.net.

As far as I remember, isn't Battle.net restricted to purchasers of Blizzard products? Anyway, if it is indeed only to those who have purchased Blizzard products, then they have a much larger say to Blizzard to convince them of a Linux port (or a Linux installer). Then again, this may not work too knowing companies largely ignore Linux.

On the flip side, seeing that Starcraft 2 is already running and it seems like it's going to be a PC only game, the ease of porting will most likely depend on how they designed their game from the ground up.

EDIT:
    Noting that Starcraft 2 is heading to PC and Mac, that increases the chances technically speaking on Starcraft 2. It doesn't guarantee a Linux port though.
    Last edited by niniendowarrior; 21 May 2007, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Already signed.

Comment

Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
        I'm sure this petition had more credence if it was people posting on Battle.net.
        Yeah, good point. I was thinking along in the same direction already. Besides, I don't like the wording of the petition- sounds kind of demanding and arrogant to me. But I also thought, if we want to get games on Linux, we have to start somewhere and make ourselves get heard. And since this petition is up, I signed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Janusz11 View Post
          Yeah, good point. I was thinking along in the same direction already. Besides, I don't like the wording of the petition- sounds kind of demanding and arrogant to me. But I also thought, if we want to get games on Linux, we have to start somewhere and make ourselves get heard. And since this petition is up, I signed it.
          Not to be a wet blanket... (Yeah, yeah, I know, anytime you say something like that, you're actually being one...hush... )

So far, petitions do pretty much no good in getting their attention, really. A petition does not ensure them getting money in exchange for doing the effort. After all, one should get paid for one's hard work. All a petition does is show that someone claims that they'll buy the game if it's ported to Linux. Now, if they have, say five or ten thousand signatures, they might begin to pay attention because it'd be reasonable to them to assume they would see something like 1-2k purchases from that work at that point in time.

By all means, sign the thing. Just don't expect anything different from the Diablo II, WarCraft, etc. petitions of the past. The only way they will really be convinced is if they see numbers of sales from other publishers and developers that braved the leading edge. Oddlabs is doing us a big favor by releasing their numbers- it's actually helping. I'm hopeful we'll get some adequate sales with Ballistics, Bandits, and Disciples when they come out so that'll be in our favor as well.

Comment

StarCraft is a game which still will be played in years... and in years linux is much more popular! There was a linux client of WoW in the beta, so it can't be much of a problem.

Comment

Has a petition for a Linux port ever worked?

Comment

Originally posted by Synergy6 View Post
                Has a petition for a Linux port ever worked?
                Me, personally, I don't care. And I will buy StarCraft II anyway. But if they would make StarCraft II compatible to Linux as well, that would be a blast (and I'd buy the Linux port, of course)!

I think, this is all just about numbers. This petition may not do any good. But there is at least a chance, that if enough people (read l o a d s of people) sign it, we may get Blizzards attention in the end.

Think positive!

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                  So far, petitions do pretty much no good in getting their attention, really.
                  I agree. Petitions don't do anything as far as Linux ports are concerned. I tend to think though that Battle.net is reserved for Blizzard customers, so I was thinking perhaps it would have a bigger pull there.

That said, the likelihood is not great.

Comment

Read some more info on StarCraft II, and see that they are discussing whether Direct X 9 or 10 be used, with no mention of OpenGL.

StarCraft II for linux is a lost cause, as it's too late in the development cycle (unless you want to wait a couple extra years?). You should instead hope for good wine/cedega compatibility.

Comment

Working...
                    X