Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seven Weeks Later, LGP & Its DRM Is Still Down

Phoronix: Seven Weeks Later, LGP & Its DRM Is Still Down

Last week we reported on the situation where LGP has been without its server for a month and a half after their single server lost its lone hard drive used to host the Linux Game Publishing web-site (along with the LGP-owned Tux Games and Happy Penguin web-sites), their online store, and their Digital Rights Management platform for their Linux games. LGP didn't keep around any backups and this server was not mirrored but just running with an off-the-shelf Serial ATA hard drive that evidently failed and then additionally suffered from firmware corruption, chemical degradation, and file-system damage, according to Michael Simms, the CEO of LGP...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

LGP has been without its server for a month and a half after their single server lost its lone hard drive
    and even worse...

LGP didn't keep around any recent backups and this server was not mirrored but just running with an off-the-shelf Serial ATA hard drive...
    Seriously? Dude I have a 500gb hard drive still in the static packaging just sitting in my corner collecting dust. I recently got an old 250gb hard drive just to back up my music, and they don't even have a server backup? Is funding that hard to come by that you can't even afford a $75 hard drive?

Comment

Hopefully though more confidence will be restored to Linux gaming once Valve releases their Steam Linux client, which is still expected to happen.
      So two months without word from LGP means they're dead and never coming back, yet 6+ months of no linux steam client in addition to word from valve stating they will not port it to linux means it's coming soon... I'm confused... No wait I'm not. Phoronix is. ??

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
        So two months without word from LGP means they're dead and never coming back, yet 6+ months of no linux steam client in addition to word from valve stating they will not port it to linux means it's coming soon... I'm confused... No wait I'm not. Phoronix is. ??
        To each their own, treat Phoronix as it is: a sensationalist tabloid with a 10% of truth and 90% of hyping.

Comment

I wouldn't doubt michael completely. He must have some inside information if he is still sticking by his word.

Comment

All I can say is W...T....F

A supposedly commercial website running off a single consumer grade HDD which stores all of there data and does not have a backup?

Jeez, even if they somehow managed to come back to life I ain't gonna touch that shitz.

Lame, just lame.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoronix
              LGP didn't keep around any recent backups and this server was not mirrored but just running with an off-the-shelf Serial ATA hard drive that evidently failed and then additionally suffered from firmware corruption, chemical degradation, and file-system damage, according to Michael Simms, the CEO of LGP.
              That couldn't be worse. What where they doing there?

Comment

'Chemical Degradation' aye?

Hope they didn't do what I think they did... Or did they really accidentally shot semen on their HDD's PCB?

Excuse me but I just have to rant about it one more time!

Comment

still piping on about STEAM I see...

I wonder how wrong Phoronix is going to be w.r.t. OilRush, they said Q4 and well 6weeks left ...

Phoronix and such statements cannot be trusted

Comment

Originally posted by Naib View Post
                    I wonder how wrong Phoronix is going to be w.r.t. OilRush, they said Q4 and well 6weeks left ...
                    Unigine said OilRush would be a Q4 release. However, I do know the state of its release but am not permitted at this time to talk about it.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X