No announcement yet.

LGP Has Been Down For A Month And A Half

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't believe a business consolidated all their services in a single disk machine, and with a "Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB" when that disk is not designed precisely with 24/7 server usage in mind.

No Raid1? No daily backups? A single consumer disk for all services?

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
      Did Phoronix try and contact LGP on IRC (#lgp on irc.freenode.net apparently)? If so include that in the article - at the moment it comes across as an attack rather than investigative journalism..
      I emailed Michael Simms, I've communicated with him before that way, as said in the article.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
        And so it begins.
        its about time

Comment

Online authentication is never cool, and never good, particularity so when persistent authentication is required.

Comment

I have been able to continue playing X3 while their site is down.
            I wonder what happens when I update my system to a newer version of Ubuntu and have to re-install x3? If they are still down I'm thinking it wont work?

Comment

Those drives are garbage. I had one die on me too because of their crappy firmware. I also own several LGP games and cannot install any because of their downtime. I will definately consider this before buying any more games from them. Nothing personal, but i expect to be able to install and run games i buy.

Comment

Originally posted by marakaid View Post
                I can't believe a business consolidated all their services in a single disk machine, and with a "Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB" when that disk is not designed precisely with 24/7 server usage in mind.

http://bit.ly/b8wIKg
                Not only that, Western Digital consumer level drives don't have TLER support which means they won't work with RAID (further cementing your point that this drive is less than ideal for a server). Without TLER your drives will fail out of the array rather often, requiring a full rebuild each time. For some older WD drives, it was possible to enable TLER in the firmware, but with the latest drives (ie, 2GB drives) this is no longer possible.

I recently upgraded to 2 2TB Seagate drives in my RAID1 array for precisely this reason.

Sounds like they need an experienced sys admin. Unfortunately, I'm already employed.

Comment

Originally posted by marakaid View Post

http://bit.ly/b8wIKg
                  RAID1's worthless. Minimum RAID is 5... With RAID1, which is the good copy an which is the bad when you have a single soft write error? (If you can't tell me out of the gate (and you CAN'T)...it's not the thing you thought it was.)

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                    RAID1's worthless. Minimum RAID is 5... With RAID1, which is the good copy an which is the bad when you have a single soft write error? (If you can't tell me out of the gate (and you CAN'T)...it's not the thing you thought it was.)
                    Although RAID is good. So is having off location of data. So having more than one server for instance. I think having two computers with the same data is better than RAID 1, period.

Comment

"Chemical degradation of the surface"?? They spilled beer on it?
                      I also think this unlikely combination of catastrophic failures doesn't seem right. They are all probably on Canc?n bathing in the sun by now. In the face of all these problems I have to agree with TwistedLincoln's argument that no DRM system is good to the end-user.

Comment

Working...
                      X