No announcement yet.

Primal Carnage Says Goodbye To Unigine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now they can never open a Jurassic Park.

A classic scene from Jurassic Park (1993), memorable quote "it's a Unix system, I know this". - Lex Murphy

Linux is Unix's replacement in my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by efikkan View Post
      The shiny ugly blurred pictures got nothing to do with tessellation and got nothing to do with Unigine. It's used in most games today and is usually HDR/Bloom, and is often an attempt to hide rough edges. But I agree, it is horrible.
      Did they change HDR so much with DX11 hardware that it ended up like that?

It has to have something to do with tesselation. I don't think dx 10 and 9 hardware can mess a picture up that bad without it. Unless the engines are just completely nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by NoEffex View Post
        How am I not surprised. Linux game development is rather difficult. APIs change far too much.
        This move has absolutely nothing to do with Linux game development being difficult- and the API's don't seem to change as much as you're implying.

Comment

Originally posted by deeceefar2 View Post
          Sounds like they have a new publisher that doesn't care to release the game on linux.
          No, they have a new publisher that wants it on consoles and is unwilling to help subsidize Uningne's certification for X-Box.

I don't know how they could supposedly be this far along in the development and be able to swich game engines without a chunk of cash behind them.
          Heh... I know of a game that was developed in Garland, Tx that had this sort of engine swap done to it- several times in fact. That studio ended up settling the matter with the publisher by keeping the franchise rights and allowing one of the publishers other studios finish the game code that was nearly done. The game MIGHT be out after a 13+ year delay in production.

Having met them at GDC I have to say I'm disappointed. The unigine code is very well documented and very high quality in my experience. I can understand if they are pushing console development because Unigine is very new to the consoles, and hasn't been approved by MS yet. But lack of support is BS when you have access to the code. I don't see why Unigine should have to pay for development of a port to xbox if they aren't being paid to do it. That is my 2 cents.
          And you answered the question we all have on our minds. The reason's more that their publisher wanted X-Box, didn't want to "risk" getting Unigine built and certified for X-Box- and made them switch to a "known" engine that works on the desired platforms. From there, the lame excuses started flowing.

Comment

Originally posted by NoEffex View Post
            No. You're talking to a dev here. There is constant API change, and more importantly ABI change. If you compile something on Fedora 13, the likelihood of it running on fedorda 12, or debian, or ubuntu, or arch linux, or centos, or rhel, is slim to none. It can be the most basic console app that tells you hello (hello world .
            Really? And this is a dev that's telling you that you just don't know how to "do it right". I manage pretty well without the problems you're alluding to. So does LGP, really.

On Windows on the other hand, apps from the last century can still be run. Thus, if they make a game for Windows, chances are, it's going to last longer, whereas if they did it on Linux, it might last until the next week or two when there's a API/ABI change.
            Uh... Wrong. There's tons of variances that can cause a game to not run right. Apps that drop their own versions of things right straight onto the system .so's, etc. Please don't paint Windows as the holy grail- because I can tell you that with driver variances, etc. it is flatly NOT the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Hephasteus View Post
              Did they change HDR so much with DX11 hardware that it ended up like that?

It has to have something to do with tesselation. I don't think dx 10 and 9 hardware can mess a picture up that bad without it. Unless the engines are just completely nuts.
              Take a look here or try googling for images and you'll see it.

This is a post processing effect, and I can guarantee you it has noting to do with tessellation, the tessellation is performed early in the pipeline, right after the vertex shader and before rasterization.

Comment

The only problem is we have yet to see a Linux client make a premiere yet for any title using the Unreal Engine 3. We will not see that until Valve's Steam Client makes a premiere on Linux in the coming months.
                So now we will see games based on UE3 when Steam is released for Linux??

Comment

Originally posted by numasan View Post
                  So now we will see games based on UE3 when Steam is released for Linux??
                  That remains to be seen. Since there's not been any indication from Ryan Gordon that it's getting done and Mark Rein updated us with the unlikelihood of UT3 ever seeing the light of day on Linux I'm thinking that it's not likely to happen. Especially if the rumors regarding why this is the case are even remotely true.

Comment

My point was that Michael should choose his words carefully. No matter if we'll see Steam for Linux or not, he/Phoronix has already created a mess. Saying "We will not see that until .." is wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by efikkan View Post
                      Take a look here or try googling for images and you'll see it.

This is a post processing effect, and I can guarantee you it has noting to do with tessellation, the tessellation is performed early in the pipeline, right after the vertex shader and before rasterization.
                      Ah thank you very much!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X