No announcement yet.

Primal Carnage Says Goodbye To Unigine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just installed Doom3 again, which is more than 6 years old. Worked like a charm.

They bundled libstdc++, but it actually picked my local version during runtime.

I think that this guy has never heard of unix library versioning, and is thinking of Windows where you have problems with updated libraries. Yes, libraries change, but there is not problem with shipping older libraries for compatibility, and all distros do this.

Comment

Originally posted by kayosiii View Post
      Yes I am vaguely familiar with Code::Blocks... Out of curiosity what part of the world do you come from?
      Im from Cuba.

Comment

Originally posted by Hephasteus View Post
        This is probably a good move. Unigine doesn't look good. It's too sharp and focused in one spot and too blurry in another spot. Would have driven people mad with eye focusing problems.
        Yes depth of field code in Unigine could be better implemented in the Heaven Demo - but if you are using that to asses the visual quality of the engine than you are really out of your depth.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerdv View Post
          Im from Cuba.
          Ok if you were anywhere near Russia I would have suggested applying to work for them. The best suggestion I can make is to talk to them and explain your situation.

Comment

Correct me, if I'm wrong, but doesn't most of the Windows software ship with lots of libraries, that you already have installed with many other applications? Isn't that the reason, why the newer VC-Runtime system maintains some XML files to install many versions of the same libraries somewhere in the Windows/System/ directory, so that one specific version of one library doesn't need to be installed many times in different places on your harddrive????

Comment

@ kayosiii: yes distro don't make the very same thing for libs and other stuff... Api/ABi Changes but backward compatibility is only true if you use older lib over a new one unless a major rewrite has been done...

Comment

Looked like a realy interesting game to me. Too bad

Comment

Code::Blocks is a great IDE, that's where I do most of my work.

I do see why the developers are tempted to try a different engine, they are hoping to earn more money. I've been there many so times myself in different projects I've been involved in, but it's also the main reason why none of these never where completed as intended. It's OK to do a large change or redesign in a project, in an early development stage, but it's a very stupid thing to do when the project is almost ready for shipping. I think it would have been better to complete the game using Unigine and then focus on a sequel, which most likely will generate more income than postponing the release of the game to possibly sell more copies (even though some platforms may be excluded).

Comment

Originally posted by kayosiii View Post
                    Yes depth of field code in Unigine could be better implemented in the Heaven Demo - but if you are using that to asses the visual quality of the engine than you are really out of your depth.
                    I'm just going by the screenies that primal carnage was posting. They worried me. Because there was the tesselated portion and the blurred portion. Same thing with metro 2030. It has the same this part is tesselated to all get out and this part is gaussian blurred like crazy. I wouldn't play either of those games but if I did It would drive me nuts because it would have to make your eyes go on a focus stigmatism outbreak of crazyness.

Comment

The shiny ugly blurred pictures got nothing to do with tessellation and got nothing to do with Unigine. It's used in most games today and is usually HDR/Bloom, and is often an attempt to hide rough edges. But I agree, it is horrible.

Comment

Working...
                      X