No announcement yet.

Primal Carnage Says Goodbye To Unigine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was looking forward to this game. At least it gives me a reason to clean up my bookmarks.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      Not to forget one thing:

You can download and use UDK for free, just when you earn money you have to pay up to 25% to epic. I guess that's fair, compared to that the beginning costs for Unigine are too high, no free SDK. Also UDK is free for education use and so students may get used to it in university projects. This is the part of marketing Unigine still has to learn. A few nice benchmarks are not enough.
      Primal Carnage team got Unigine for free.

Comment

I am confirming I have received a refund without issue and commend them for how they are handling it. I also wish to share a message sent to them when making the donation:

But more importantly I wish to express my gratitude developing for
        Linux. I am not overly excited about the game, but wish for your
        survival and continued effort to bring great games to Linux. This
        donation is also an indirect support of the Unigine as I expect you
        will probably continue to use this engine if you continue developing
        games.

So thank you, and you're welcome.
        I still wish them good luck on their efforts, I may purchase the game if it does show worth, but it not what donation was for.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
          I read some posts in their forum, and all i have to say as a developer myself, is that i wish them utter failure from my heart...

They are making lame excuses, like that "Unigine didn't support them" while the truth of the matter is that they switched to the Unreal Engine in order to publish to consoles...

I wouldn't have a problem with that, they are a business, it is their game and they are free to do what they want. But they lied to the Linux community in order to get support, money and publicity.

Unigine supported them in MANY ways, and they say they couldn't finish the game with this engine...

As a company and as professionals, are unworthy of trust and of respect. Expect them to belly up sometime in the future...
          I don't think this is entirely fair on all counts. I didn't know that Primal Carnage was going to offer a Linux client version of the game and I am a little bit surprised that they did. However I am pretty sure that they did this is good faith.

Primal carnage is a very young company and this will be their first release. At the time they would have made that announcement they would have been pretty much sold on using Unigine.

As to the claims that Unigine didn't support them properly... I personally have found Unigine one of the easier companies I have had to deal with in terms of support. However other people in my office have had less success. Part of it is that the unigine staff are mostly very technical people so there can be a bit of a barrier to communication. There is also the fact that the unigine team is very small and you have to be somewhat realistic about what they can achieve in a given timeframe.

Finally I think given the resources that Primal Carnage have and their people they have that Unreal engine will suit them better. I would be pretty surprised if Unreal didn't support Linux on some level (they did six years ago).

Comment

UDK is so ...err... messed up as a sdk, never love that thing... their users community helps is honestly a pain in butt! From my point of view Unigine team seems to be focused in their new game which is understandable, but their did create a wiki for their customers in order to ease some communication barrier as written in the post above!

The Switch appears to be for Xbox support instead of PS3 as unigine has... they are sponsored, by whom? i don't know! IF they are sponsored why the switch? Someone said in a previous post that they got the license for free i really doubt that! the license cost is high but it's cheaper than a full license to UE3 or Id tech 4/5 price...

Comment

Some people here mentioned that Linux game development is difficult. This is BS, it is NOT.

It is different, that is true. And there are some problems that need to be tackled that don't exist in Windows. But to go as far as to say that the reason Companies do not support Linux is because they can't do it, it is ridiculus. This is a myth, just like the myth of the need to support "thousands of distributions".

The reason for example Unreal didn't release its current engine for Linux, is because Microsoft would be very unhappy about it. There aren't technical reasons for this lack of support. There was more gaming support for Linux when it was in its infancy, now that it is more matured suddenly it is difficult? There was a time when having working sound in Linux needed a phd and praying for a miracle and at that time there were more native games released, and now that it just works companies can't do it?

Microsoft is what is keeping gaming out of Linux, directly or indirectly. Microsoft even released a fscking console for this single purpose. A fscking console which at least for a time COSTED them much money... They didn't care, because XBOX's sole puprose in life is to move gaming to Direct3D, because THAT is what is keeping Windows in place...

Comment

Originally posted by NoEffex View Post
                How am I not surprised. Linux game development is rather difficult. APIs change far too much.
                Thats why my >7 years old copy of SimCity 3000 still works on a modern Linux Distro.

Hell, this game works better than games made for Win9x running on XP or even Vista.

Comment

How am I not surprised. Linux game development is rather difficult. APIs change far too much.
                  You know this, how?

Do you have experience in developing games in Linux?

Are you a commercial game developer?

Or is this another generalist view?

Please enlighten us as to how an independent developer like Wolfire Games, can support Windows, Linux, and Mac without issue?
                  => http://www.wolfire.com/

Comment

It's a really sad news for Linux community. Unfortunately we were unable to convince them to continue development based on our engine.

I've answered some of the false claims about Unigine here: http://www.primalcarnage.com/forum/v...t=1061&p=18696

Comment

Originally posted by aussiebear View Post
                      You know this, how?

Do you have experience in developing games in Linux?

Are you a commercial game developer?

Or is this another generalist view?
                      Ignore the troll. Typical opinion of someone that has tried linux once, 8 years ago, and since then pretends to be an expert.

Comment

Working...
                      X