Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S2 Games Calls Their HoN Linux Port A Big Success

Phoronix: S2 Games Calls Their HoN Linux Port A Big Success

During the summer we were giving away free beta keys for Heroes of Newerth, a game developed by S2 Games that had a native Linux client. During that time we gave away more than 1,000 keys, but since then the retail version of the game was launched to much excitement for both Linux and Windows gamers. This week we learned from S2 Games about how they view their Linux port...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

to tell the truth, im playing this game using wine.
    i dont know if its related to fglrx, but direct3d->opengl is faster than their native opengl client.
    and i have more effects working (like reflection and so on)

Comment

have same problem with amnesia, penumbra, openarena... better works with wine than native...

Comment

I'm using the native hon client, and It works great, It NEVER crashes like the windows client do.

Comment

confirmed

Originally posted by Mibmib View Post
          I'm using the native hon client, and It works great, It NEVER crashes like the windows client do.
          I participated in game since beta, I know now that a lot of Linux users did participate as well(due to nature of users), and since Linux users are no doubt in masses MUCH more advanced - they ironed bugs out for Linux.

Since game went into production i had very a few bugs, most of them never appeared again,probably not more than 5 and i have not lost one game because of bugs anyway.(i don't even know if they are Linux related, since some of them can easily be related to all OS that are in support).
          Though performance of the game isn't great. I know my machine under Windows would perform better.(though, it's not going to happen any time soon).
          Wine never worked properly either. It did work over year ago...
          But game is very playable, none the less.

Comment

I am very glad they have actually said that

Comment

Its the ATi drivers, they are shite.

Harsh but true. While ATi have made strides to improve their drivers they are still just a polished turd

Comment

Oh Yeah! Fglrx+Evergreen won't even run HoN (since 10.5-present driver). lol

the opensource drivers run HoN. I signed up on the forums to get a key after following this site for a while.

Great game. Play it with friends and you'll have more fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Pfanne View Post
                  to tell the truth, im playing this game using wine.
                  i dont know if its related to fglrx, but direct3d->opengl is faster than their native opengl client.
                  and i have more effects working (like reflection and so on)
                  Are you running an nvidia 7 series or below?

Theres a limitation in the those cards they hadn't rewritten reflections for.
                  I used to run a 7900gt and had reflections disabled.

Comment

I don't have any problem on Vista or Ubuntu 10.04...with ATi.

Great game, have been playing it since beta.

Comment

Working...
                    X