UT3 For Linux Is Laid To Rest By Epic's Mark Rein

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
    Android and mobile Linux probably has the better shot at being a viable gaming platform than desktop Linux at this point.
    Amen, it's probably also why if Steam ever comes to linux it will probably be for those mobile platforms.

Comment

It has nothing to do with DRM, UT3 itself comes only with a standard CD-check, since UT series is largely dependent on multiplayer and you can't pirate that. It could have something to do with getting permission for all the 3rd party tools used in Unreal Engine 3, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Snickersnack View Post
        ROFL. You have got to be kidding. If 'regular people' cared about pc gaming, notebooks and integrated video would be much less popular.
        Regular people, in computer terms, don't know anything about computers. They just want a good one. Everybody can drive from A to B in a crappy Toyota, so why do businessman need BMW's?

Next to the screen- and keyboard, people just want "the best computer for my money". Likewise most regual people want to have a Full HD screen just because it implies you are succesful.

Take a look at it from the 'get real'-perspective. The Dire Straights: "Colour teeeeveeeeeeheeeeee". If you had a color tv with a vcr back in the day you were the man, so to speak. Succesful son of a bitch. Nowadays the people in apartments all have at least a flatscreen with a DVD player, not being satisfied with what they have because the richer have "MOAR, MOAR, MOAR!!!!!".

So why settle for a girly netbook?

Comment

Everyone seems to be missing a crucial point: UT3 flopped. Sales were lower than expected and Epic didn't make the profit it wished from this game. This is likely the reason why they canned the Linux port (why sink more money on a failed endeavor?)

They've more or less announced they will be abandoning the PC platform in favor of consoles and handhelds. Funnily enough, they blame pirates for this decision, although the poor sales of UT3 are more likely the result of a subpar game.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            Today we have been passed along a note from Mark Rein, the VP of Epic Games and creator of the Unreal Engine...
            Err, might want to fix that article, Mark Rein is definitely not the creator of the Unreal Engine. The creator is Tim Sweeney; Mark Rein isn't even a programmer at all as far as I know, he's mostly the P.R. guy (I spent many years obsessed with the Unreal Engine, basically until this whole debacle with Unreal Engine 3 not coming out for Linux).

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
              Speaking of iD, I wish Carmack would do Android ports of Doom in addition to the iPhone ports he's done.
              Android and mobile Linux probably has the better shot at being a viable gaming platform than desktop Linux at this point.
              Carmack I think mostly programmed for the iPhone first because he uses one; he's definitely interested in Android, though:

Originally posted by John Carmack
              https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/21591033581
              I need to decide if I am going to spend some quality time with CUDA or Android. Supercomputing and cell phones, about equally interesting?
              You'll notice he announced his smartphone (for now, iOS) engine at QuakeCon. Notably, it was originally going to be part of Apple's Fall conference, but:

Originally posted by John Carmack
              https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/22739785428
              Apple insisted that if we wanted to be part of the keynote, I couldn?t show my work at Quakecon, so I declined.
              Which brings me to:

Originally posted by b15hop View Post
              I've always liked id. They make me feel sane.
              Amen.

P.S. Does anyone know a URL where I could download the original demo release of the UT3 server? Ryan once said that if you compared it with the final, full release that you'd see which middleware was responsible, I was hoping for someone more knowledgeable than me to do it but I've yet to hear of such, and hey, one of the mottos of Open Source is "scratch your own itch"

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                Ubuntu 9.10 beta Grub After installing 9.10 beta, machine displays GRUB screen and allows rebooting into either Ubuntu or Windows. Both Windows and Ubuntu will load and run BUT, once you log out of windows, grub fails with only one line of text displayed - something like Loading GRUB. Computer is unusable - can't even Control-Alt-Delete. Must turn off and reinstall ubuntu. Usual method to restore GRUB is to run from the CD and fix grub from a terminal. This doesn't work in 9.10 with message...

Binary package hint: grub2 ORIGINAL BUG REPORT: https://bugs.launchpad.net/debian/+source/grub2/+bug/441941?comments=all Maybe the same problem in in Lucid Beta1. After booting Windows my system again was left with useless MBR. The system message this time is not "GRUB LOADING" as it is in Karmic but: "no module name found Aborted. Press any key to exit." After hitting "Enter" the message: "Non-system disk or disk error replace and strike any key when ready" appears. The system is total...

Oddly Grub-legacy and Lilo do not have this problem, so I'm obviously trolling

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                  Oddly Grub-legacy and Lilo do not have this problem, so I'm obviously trolling
                  Except that appears to be nothing to do with Grub, and just another example of crappy Windows DRM trashing people's systems, in this case by writing to random parts of the disk which it isn't supposed to write to. Perhaps complaining to crappy Windows DRM vendors would be more productive?

Added to the fact that we're still stuck with crappy DOS-style partition tables which don't allow Grub to allocate its own boot partition; though crappy Windows DRM would probably still overwrite it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    Amen, it's probably also why if Steam ever comes to linux it will probably be for those mobile platforms.
                    Which is an...odd...way of looking at this, deanjo... There's nothing really intrinsically different except for a constrained screen size for "those mobile platforms" and for X86 Linux. In fact, the only real biggie difference is that you're technically supposed to dispatch input device and sound subsystem operations through the Dalvik runtime on Android for games- if you're needing peak performance, the game's largely the same as for WebOS, MeeGo, and X86 Linux. The GL layer's OpenGL ES as the only real difference. You'd use SDL, SDL_audio/OpenAL, etc. on all those platforms.

You'd want to target the largest possible audience, one that's placed actually at roughly the same numbers as the MacOS crowd, not including all the smartphones out there.

Comment

Well thank goodness thats finally over with.

Epic drank too much Gears Of War Microsoft kool-aid, I lost hope in them a long time ago since that, not just for Linux ports, but for making any decent games anymore.

I'd kill for a new Unreal game that takes after the original game's roots, but you know its never going to happen.

Anyhow, if they really cared they would at least tell us what really happened, be it Ryan or Mark himself. Not gonna happen.

Comment

Working...
                      X