UT3 For Linux Is Laid To Rest By Epic's Mark Rein

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
    Maybe the real problem is that the Linux desktop sucks and needs to be improved beyond the "good-enough-for-a-workstation" stage. You could probably start by making grub2 not brick certain dual boot computers. Just a suggestion that will be ignored.
    Are you just trying to troll or can you develop? FWIW I've also seen many windows computers brick dual booting. At least Grub2 tries to cope with more than one system, while Windows *always* assumes it's alone on a machine. Just for the sake of the comparison of comparable things, to show who's doing efforts in which direction.

But I'm mostly interested in your argumentation on why Linux desktop sucks.

Comment

You could probably start by making grub2 not brick certain dual boot computers. Just a suggestion that will be ignored.
      ROFL. You mean this? http://linux.slashdot.org/story/10/0...-2-Unbootable]

FAIL.

Comment

It's dead, Jim. (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
          It's dead, Jim. (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
            LOL!

There is more chance of seeing UT3 on the iPhone 4 than on Linux... Oh wait... It's already on the iPhone 4. wtf!

I've always liked id. They make me feel sane.

Shame on EPIC for their EPIC fail.

Comment

Originally posted by b15hop View Post
              There is more chance of seeing UT3 on the iPhone 4 than on Linux... Oh wait... It's already on the iPhone 4. wtf!

Yes, i still cannot believe how games may look at mobile device!

But going back to topic:
              I believe that making Linux port of UT3 isn't really profitable.
              Just look at it's Windows version - it's very cheap (it so cheap it's almost free ;P, so i guess it has nothing to do with DRM), but there's almost none servers, even worldwide: Gametracker search results.
              I really dunno why that happened - i played UT3 demo and it's good imho - even more - it's best 'quake' ever ;P.
              UT3 is imo a better than imo crappy_these_days CS 1.6 - which ofcourse got like 1000x more playable/full servers... (for me quake-like games were always better than cs ;P, although i just love cod4)

Comment

For Epic, Linux was a pet project. For iD, Linux ports only happen because TTimo uses his free time for it, he will eventually retire and you'll get shafted by iD and get upset about it.

Maybe the real problem is that the Linux desktop sucks and needs to be improved beyond the "good-enough-for-a-workstation" stage. You could probably start by making grub2 not brick certain dual boot computers. Just a suggestion that will be ignored.
                Speaking of iD, I wish Carmack would do Android ports of Doom in addition to the iPhone ports he's done.
                Android and mobile Linux probably has the better shot at being a viable gaming platform than desktop Linux at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
                  Speaking of iD, I wish Carmack would do Android ports of Doom in addition to the iPhone ports he's done.
                  Android and mobile Linux probably has the better shot at being a viable gaming platform than desktop Linux at this point.
                  That's so true.
                  This is why I hope Android is released on a Tegra based phone.

Comment

Who cares?

Amnesia was just released by Frictional Games. Go buy that, support Indi devs and to hell with ID.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
                      Referring to popular games as "only an entertainment application" is lot like calling the beach "only a reason to wear a bathing suit." Over in Regular People World, games are for many people the only reason to own a damn computer in the first place, and for most the rest they're the only reason to own something bigger than a netbook.
                      ROFL. You have got to be kidding. If 'regular people' cared about pc gaming, notebooks and integrated video would be much less popular.

Comment

Working...
                      X