Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Details On Unigine's OilRush Game

Phoronix: More Details On Unigine's OilRush Game

A few days ago Unigine Corp announced OilRush, their first in-house game that's coming from the creators of one of the most advanced multi-platform engines. Unigine developers are also fond of Linux and properly support it with the OilRush game receiving the same level of support and there will be a Linux client on launch-day...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

- It depends upon the distributors as to whether the Linux version of OilRush will incorporate any DRM, as in Digital Rights Management.
    Sad to hear. In any case, if it has DRM in linux, you have lost a buyer.

Comment

I don't think they will be so stupid to include a drm, otherwise nobody will buy the linux version.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
        I don't think they will be so stupid to include a drm, otherwise nobody will buy the linux version.
        Any way there will be like >95% of Windows+PS3 players. With the rest of the <5% players, some will buy it (with DRM), like the players that use wine or cedega.

Better of course is that they don't include DRM, it is bad for the user.

Comment

For wine you often have to use patches to get rid of drm. Basicially it is hardy possible to avoid piracy, it is in a way even good to increase interest. A game that is not copied is a flop anyway.

Comment

It's not up to them if they use DRM or not. It's up to the publisher.

Besides, if the humble indy bundel/world of goo has thought me anything, it's that >9 out of 10 people will pirate it without DRM so apperantly it does pay off to use DRM.

Don't take this personal: It's entirely possible you have good intentions, but they have to take others into account...

Comment

Mostly the trouble is though that the more effective a DRM is, the more invasive it is. They do range from simple key checks from installing rootkits and virtual devices to the user system, after all. Imo depends entirely on what kind of a rootkit it is whether it's acceptable or not. If it goes even close to touching the Linux kernel, I say kill it with fire.

Comment

Genuinly original

What I like about the screeshots and the trailer - it appears to be Genuinly Original, which is fairly unique today.

Have you heard about about a swat team fighting against aliens against on another planet? Yes, too many times.

The Oil Rig environment is not even remotely similar to anything else!

Congratulations! Good to hear will be coming to Linux too!

I will be a customer!

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
                  Besides, if the humble indy bundel/world of goo has thought me anything, it's that >9 out of 10 people will pirate it without DRM so apperantly it does pay off to use DRM.
                  Sorry, but this is malicious FUD.

One common email we have been getting is people notifying us that they see live Humble Bundle key links around the internet on various forums, 4chan, and even Steam! I decided to look into this a little bit and try to guess how big of a phenomenon it is. After ...

- It's 2.5 out of 10
                  - Some of it is accounted for by other factors

This is still way too much for a donation-based game, but keep it real.

I'm not a gamer and I play very occasionally, but I've purchased a number of Linux titles. I won't buy a game with DRM. I even tried the HL2 demo through wine, and Steam kept locking me out. No thanks, never again. Native and DRM-free, then I'll buy it, and happily donate much more than average too.

EDIT - a one-time key check like in Doom and Quake games is OK for me. Phoning home is not.

Comment

There are benefits to DRM. More intrusive DRM means more fun for the crackers, with the added bonus that it will hold us off for an extra hour or two before breaking it, during which perhaps 1-2 impatient would-be pirates will purchase the game.

Comment

Working...
                    X