More Details On Unigine's OilRush Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    Hey now... We know better than that with the Indie Humble Bundle...
    A simple, obscure, unintrusive and low-tech copy protection (some metadata trick on a 'hidden' part of the disc) isn't going to hurt anyone.

What we hate is copy protection that screws us like DRM and StarForce, not some obscure copy protection that just deals with bad sectors on the disc (comparable with the famous buffer underrun from back in the day).

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
      A simple, obscure, unintrusive and low-tech copy protection (some metadata trick on a 'hidden' part of the disc) isn't going to hurt anyone.

What we hate is copy protection that screws us like DRM and StarForce, not some obscure copy protection that just deals with bad sectors on the disc (comparable with the famous buffer underrun from back in the day).
      As this is likely a digital download I don't think copy protection is gonna help, or is at all necessary any more.

I honestly think the future for PC game distribution is something like GOG.com. DRM-free, sensible pricing, you have an account and you have your own library where you can re-download your bought games with extras (soundtracks, wallpapers etc.), you can rate the games, read/write reviews, chat on game-specific forums. Paying for the game actually gives you far more than pirating it.

Because of gog.com I've bought more games in the last 6 months than the last 6 years. A game developer can win sales by finding ways to give paying customers more than the pirates. Trying to prevent copying in a digital world is a fruitless exercise.

If anything games developers should be *using* bittorrent. If they get their version of the game on TPB on release day with an embedded flattr/donation link and a link to where to purchase it on the start screen then at least they gain advertising and potentially some money.

Comment

OilRush support OGL3/4? Great!
        Will it support OGL3/4 on windows too? (what about winXP?)

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
          OilRush support OGL3/4? Great!
          Will it support OGL3/4 on windows too? (what about winXP?)
          Since OilRush mainly use DX9 level technologies, there will be no problem with windows XP.

Comment

Originally posted by binstream View Post
            Since OilRush mainly use DX9 level technologies, there will be no problem with windows XP.
            I don't think that was the question, since there's D3D and OGL rendering backends for both.

I'd want to know if there's any possibility of doing apples-to-apples comparisons with Windows and Linux- which requires a 1-to-1 relationship with the functionalities used on both platforms, which isn't the case if you're doing D3D and OGL side-by-side.

And the answer would depend on what support NVidia and AMD provide there for OpenGL. Based on the statements on the current WHQL drivers for XP, the answer to their question would be "yes" so long as Unigine opts to allow the OpenGL backend to be on Windows as an option for the game.

Comment

Working...
            X