More Details On Unigine's OilRush Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sabriah View Post
    What I like about the screeshots and the trailer - it appears to be Genuinly Original, which is fairly unique today.

Have you heard about about a swat team fighting against aliens against on another planet? Yes, too many times.

The Oil Rig environment is not even remotely similar to anything else!

Congratulations! Good to hear will be coming to Linux too!

I will be a customer!
    it's a default strategy game...nothing new here.

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
      it's a default strategy game...nothing new here.
      I agree. A small quote from Dune II.
      Whoever controls Dune controls the Spice... He who controls the Spice controls the universe.

DRM is ineffective. I can't understand why most companies no longer trust their customers.

Comment

Yeah, I kinda do. I've witnessed enough of the evolution of copy-protection systems to do so even though I personally think companies went for overkill with this digital protection system. It used to be all fun and games, then it went for an arms race between producers and illegal sellers. Now that illegal game selling is mostly gone, people break digital copy-protection just to spite the companies that use it. Go figure.

Comment

There is not a single DRM/Copy protection system which hasn't been defeated. None. The only thing they do, is annoy normal customers, the rest will go straight for the cracks; and in the case of unauthorized copies, these come with the cracks already, which ironically make a better product, as long as you forget updates (else the cracks need updating too).

Steam got this right. You make an account, and this account registers which games you purchase; which you can always download or reinstall again, without serials, discs or rootkits; just your account, your games, and a connection to download, of course, with offline mode. Nothing beyond this is acceptable, and *deserves* defeating; after all you *are* the customer, you didn't pay to be treated like a criminal. Or else forget payment for copies and stick to subscription or pay for areas/content models.

Comment

I think if you market to a mature audience, then you get mature behavior. If not, then you get what get. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

If our drunken lawmakers see things differently, then we need to vote differently, even if that means not winning -gasp!

Be real, be sober.

Comment

Originally posted by WSmart View Post
              I think if you market to a mature audience, then you get mature behavior.
              There are people who will never be mature, no matter how old they are.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                Sorry, but this is malicious FUD.

One common email we have been getting is people notifying us that they see live Humble Bundle key links around the internet on various forums, 4chan, and even Steam! I decided to look into this a little bit and try to guess how big of a phenomenon it is. After ...

- It's 2.5 out of 10
                - Some of it is accounted for by other factors

This is still way too much for a donation-based game, but keep it real.

I'm not a gamer and I play very occasionally, but I've purchased a number of Linux titles. I won't buy a game with DRM. I even tried the HL2 demo through wine, and Steam kept locking me out. No thanks, never again. Native and DRM-free, then I'll buy it, and happily donate much more than average too.

EDIT - a one-time key check like in Doom and Quake games is OK for me. Phoning home is not.
                Not only is 25% estimated to be freeloaded but the other customers payed on average between €8 and €14. And those consumers did have charity in mind and did know the value of the product was €80,-.

It's all a matter of definition. If you think only freeloaders are pirates; then you right. However in my book: everything below €80,- is pirating it as well. You just hurt the company a bit less. Being less of a freeloader is still you being freeloader.

The argument about "but it was allowed to set your price below €80,-" doesn't count since that also includes the option for setting it to €0,-. It should have been a call on moral values; and as seen, almost no one did the right thing.

Comment

So, if you purchase something legally, for a legal price, and the seller is extremely happy with the money you paid, that means you're a pirate?

OK, I'm a pirate then, and everyone should be a pirate too.

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
                    However in my book: everything below €80,- is pirating it as well. You just hurt the company a bit less. Being less of a freeloader is still you being freeloader.
                    Come on, the whole point of a bundle is that the combined price ends up being less than the full price of the individual parts. Otherwise what would the point of bundling everything together be? That discount wouldn't have been all the way down to the average donation amount, but it's misleading to believe the bundle was worth the full 80.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                      Come on, the whole point of a bundle is that the combined price ends up being less than the full price of the individual parts. Otherwise what would the point of bundling everything together be? That discount wouldn't have been all the way down to the average donation amount, but it's misleading to believe the bundle was worth the full 80.
                      It's the marketvalue (as stated on the site itself) so that should be seen as the value of the combined products.

You do have a point that they should be able to make money with a price of less then ?80,-. Then again, charity is involved. That obliges to spend some more on it.

Comment

Working...
                      X