Unigine Announces Its OilRush Game For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kazade View Post
    Will there be any form of DRM on the game? (Please say No...)
    It depends on distributors.

Comment

Originally posted by kazetsukai View Post
      Not everyone runs Ubuntu. If they had a native client, Steam would be an ideal way of distributing this game to Linux clients. I don't see a reason to install games as a *package* into my *system*, be it DEB or RPM or whatever.

Otherwise just give us a .run/.sh. Linux users that game generally either know what they're doing, or had their system setup by someone that knows what they're doing.
      Yeah that'll really drive Linux forward, releasing it in some convoluted confusing way that require Linux users to have "someone else" install it for them. No, fail, wrong. There needs to be one cross-distro installer released for Linux that installs menu entries on any distro and be completely distro-agnostic working with Linux standards and be easy to run, i.e. from the GUI with a few clicks, so that any user on any Linux distro will have no problem. Screw Ubuntu, screw Fedora, screw Suse, screw any specific distro, it should work on ALL distros using standards, and if you're distro doesn't use standards you're out of luck. Lacking some standards for a few things? Make them. Tired of Linux software installation BS. BitRock Installer is one solution, although they require money for using it for "commercial software". Zero Install is free though, but maybe its use isn't necessary.

Comment

Loki installer?

Comment

Originally posted by binstream View Post
          Hmm, OK. If I can buy it without any DRM (e.g. Gog.com, Indie Bundle, and Osmos style) you already have my money. If it comes with DRM then I won't be buying it I'm afraid.

So, fingers crossed I can get a nice DRM free Linux version

Comment

BTW, such an installer doesn't make it easier to install a game, actually.

Since you shouldn't run binaries you download off the internet as root, you have to install to a new directory using user privileges, then copy the thing over. That's what I do anyway.

If it's not coming from a distro repository, it's not getting run as root, period.

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
              Yeah that'll really drive Linux forward, releasing it in some convoluted confusing way that require Linux users to have "someone else" install it for them. No, fail, wrong. There needs to be one cross-distro installer released for Linux that installs menu entries on any distro and be completely distro-agnostic working with Linux standards and be easy to run, i.e. from the GUI with a few clicks, so that any user on any Linux distro will have no problem. Screw Ubuntu, screw Fedora, screw Suse, screw any specific distro, it should work on ALL distros using standards, and if you're distro doesn't use standards you're out of luck. Lacking some standards for a few things? Make them. Tired of Linux software installation BS. BitRock Installer is one solution, although they require money for using it for "commercial software". Zero Install is free though, but maybe its use isn't necessary.
              I could care less about a GUI.
              I want the loki installer - something like UT2004.

Comment

Frankly speaking I can't guarantee that we will support open source drivers.
                That's understandable.

I think the only thing we're asking is not to be locked out (i.e. if the game was to simply refuse to run if "Mesa" was detected in the renderer string).

Comment

Who's distributing the Linux version?

Comment

Latest versions of the Unigine demos are close to working in Mesa, if you add floating point support (which is an GL3 feature). Luca coded up some rough proof-of-concept support to do that, but it's not going into master because of patent concerns. It sounds like they're going to discuss the matter in the X conference coming up.

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
                      Who's distributing the Linux version?
                      valve

10char

Comment

Working...
                      X