Unigine Announces Its OilRush Game For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    BTW, such an installer doesn't make it easier to install a game, actually.

Since you shouldn't run binaries you download off the internet as root, you have to install to a new directory using user privileges, then copy the thing over. That's what I do anyway.

If it's not coming from a distro repository, it's not getting run as root, period.
    Installing things without requiring root permission, or having a system for sharing installed programs in a secure way without root access such as Zero Install can do, or giving users the choice to install system wide or not, would be ideal, of course a combination of option 2 and 3 would be best. But yes, very much agreed, installers shouldn't require root access, they should bundle their own libraries so they don't have to, or better yet check to see if the needed system libraries are there and if not, download them. Ideally though you have policykit or maybe just specifically packagekit deal with installing new libraries while installing a new program so that other programs can also have access to those same libraries to save space, i.e. an intelligent and secure non-root method for installing and sharing with other users both libraries and programs. There's just a zillion things that could be done that would be a billion times better than a static archive you uncompress and run, actual installers are a lot more user friendly. Or, at least they can be. ^^ Downloading and running programs on Linux needs to be as easy as it is on Mac and Windows for Linux to gain more traction and be easier to use. Linux needs to surpass all competitors in every area.

Originally posted by snuwoods View Post
    I could care less about a GUI.
    I want the loki installer - something like UT2004.
    Not familiar with it but any kind of installer that is easy to use would be better than distro favoritism packaging or unfriendly archive packs. Also, while I don't mind the command line myself, the point was making it easy for *any* and *all* users to use Linux, to see Linux reach a much wider level of adoption, which will directly effect you as it directly effects the number of developers on the Linux platform.

Comment

can i report a bug?

i chose to install on /usr/local/games/
      and cant run game, need to use "sudo" to make it works

why not make it for normal user able to run by default?
      need to install in home folder

and other bug, dunno its my own bug
      mouse in game is jumping to right bottom corner after a click, sometimes without clicking, i have same problem in openarena :< some1 help?

using ubuntu 10.04

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
        Who's distributing the Linux version?
        It's still under consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by NomadDemon View Post
          can i report a bug?

i chose to install on /usr/local/games/
          and cant run game, need to use "sudo" to make it works

why not make it for normal user able to run by default?
          need to install in home folder

and other bug, dunno its my own bug
          mouse in game is jumping to right bottom corner after a click, sometimes without clicking, i have same problem in openarena :< some1 help?

using ubuntu 10.04
          Maybe your mouse is bad? Or you're using a laptop with a touch pad that you keep bumping?

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
            Maybe your mouse is bad? Or you're using a laptop with a touch pad that you keep bumping?
            no, my mouse is ok, and iam using pc.
            this mouse jumping is only in 2 games, openarena and amnesia demo...:< all other games/programs works perfect

Comment

Originally posted by NomadDemon View Post
              no, my mouse is ok, and iam using pc.
              this mouse jumping is only in 2 games, openarena and amnesia demo...:< all other games/programs works perfect
              Are you, by any chance, running both games at a quarter of the resolution of the resolution of your desktop?

Comment

no, at same resolution, windowed mode also dont work, but menu works, gameplay have same problem as fullscren have :<

i have 1280x1024 screen native resolution and iam using it all the time in every game etc

i think is some input problem in distribution, not in game, for other guys i know, inputs works ok

Comment

What mouse do you have?

Comment

it doesnt matter, normal mouse a4tech bf 750
                    i changed to another mouse, and same problem, its not mouse problem it works perfect on all other apps, it would make problems all the time if it was mouse[hardware] problem

Comment

ACtually, I have had the problem with the mouse getting "stuck" at desktop borders for quite a while now.

starting them from an xterm session (as opposed to KDE) fixes it. I always run OpenArena from a clean xterm anyway, since KDE totally messes up mouse settings regardless of what you tell it (grrrr).

Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                      X