Gaming Benchmarks: Windows 7 vs. Ubuntu Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by liam View Post
    High-end OpenGL performance is the one graphics area I expected Linux to actually beat Windows. I saw the results and assumed that the card was a consumer level GeForce-equiv, but it wasn't. Now, I would assume that since these were gaming benchmarks and not CAD, that that would be the reason for the Linux loss.
    Now, it is my understanding that Windows no longer has to convert all OpenGL instructions to Direct3D, thus they can get similar performance, but to beat Linux by this much... again, I am guessing this is b/c these tests aren't making extensive use of double precision.
    Does anyone know something concrete?

Best/Liam
    Windows aren't faster than Linux in OGL games, simply the combination Ubuntu/Nvidia is problematic for some reason.
    See for example here http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...buntu910&num=2
    I have repeated this again and again but Michael doesn't want to throw a second distro in the benches. With a second distro in play, for every result we will know whether is Linux's or distro's fault.

Comment

This is probably why Windows will become a major gaming platform. It will be interesting to see how things will develop with the success of the XBox. If MS Office 2010 does not prove popular or replace their older versions, it might mean the decline of Windows and its office apps in the workplace and in education.

Personally, I do not care for gaming and therefore gaming benchmarks have little importance for me. 90% or more of computing for me and and I believe for everyday users is web-based. This trend should continue. MS is trying hard to make this happen with Windows but Windows comes from the pre-Web period and is designed as such.

Comment

The problem is, there is no frigging real games on Linux.

Can we pls compare:

Age of Empires III
        Assassin's Creed
        Batman Arkham Asylum
        Battlefield 2142 / Bad Company 2
        Burnout Paradise
        Call of Duty - World at War
        Company of Heroes
        Crysis / WARHEAD
        Counter Strike Source
        DiRT 1 / 2
        Fallout 3
        Far Cry 2
        FEAR / Perseus Mandate
        GRID
        GTA SA / 4
        HL2 EP2
        Left 4 Dead 1 / 2
        Mass Effect 2
        Modern Warfare 2
        Need for Speed 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13
        Portal
        Red Alert 3 / Uprising
        Sniper Ghost Warrior
        StarCraft II
        Street Fighter 4
        Team Fortress 2
        The Saboteur
        Unreal Tournament 3 (sigh...)
        X-Men Origins - Wolverine

Please compare how those run in Windows 7 against Linux ?
        Not to mention that is only PART of my regularly played games

Comment

Funkyrider has the points, eventually the comparisation of those could be done with wine, still the results would come as works and is playable, not that great on many cases.

Actually the setup part did not say did they put off the composite window effects down on Linux while game running, it should make small change on that of performance too, while Windows eventually does that itself when running an application of d3d or familiar.

Also on some cases the filesystems could provide small adjustment on that of frame rates too if the engine is loading small distant objects while game going on, an theory only that should be as it.

Comment

The sooner everyone accepts that Linux still lacks graphics improvements the better.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
              Windows aren't faster than Linux in OGL games, simply the combination Ubuntu/Nvidia is problematic for some reason.
              See for example here http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...buntu910&num=2
              I have repeated this again and again but Michael doesn't want to throw a second distro in the benches. With a second distro in play, for every result we will know whether is Linux's or distro's fault.
              This is true. It will be great to see results on some different distro too. Fedora etc.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
                The problem is, there is no frigging real games on Linux.
                Almost all classics that deserve to be played are either ported, are runnable in DosBox or with Wine.

Age of Empires III - crap compared to Age of Empires 2
                Assassin's Creed - crap
                Batman Arkham Asylum - crap
                Battlefield 2142 / Bad Company 2 - crap
                Burnout Paradise - acceptable, altough I can beat the game with my toes that control the joysticks when I put it on the ground.
                Call of Duty - World at War - crap
                Company of Heroes - awesome
                Crysis / WARHEAD - acceptable, Warhead, that is...
                Counter Strike Source - the awesome people left after cs 1.5
                DiRT 1 / 2 - 1 is pretty good, 2 sucks
                Fallout 3 - awesome
                Far Cry 2 - crap
                FEAR / Perseus Mandate - F.E.A.R. is pretty good and totally playable under Wine
                GRID - pretty good
                GTA SA / 4 - SA sucked, 4 is great
                HL2 EP2 - Playable under Wine
                Left 4 Dead 1 / 2 - Playable under Wine
                Mass Effect 2 - crap
                Modern Warfare 2 - crap
                Need for Speed 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13 - awesome untill they released Underground and everything after that sucked
                Portal - awesome and playable under Wine
                Red Alert 3 / Uprising - nice Red Alert 2 graphics update
                Sniper Ghost Warrior - crap
                StarCraft II - awesome
                Street Fighter 4 - everyone knows Street Fighter 2 beats the shit out of the rest
                Team Fortress 2 - acceptable, works with Wine
                The Saboteur - never even heared of
                Unreal Tournament 3 (sigh...) - acceptable
                X-Men Origins - Wolverine - oh puhlease
                May I suggest some kickass games for your Linux gaming plessures? Let's start with the classics. You know... actual games and not interactive B-movie experiences;
                ---------
                Title: Doom
                What you need: a copy of Doom + DoomGL

And if you do not like how it looks than you're simply not a gamer. Go grab the Lord of the Rings blu-ray instead.

Title: Duke Nukem 3D
                What you need: copy of Duke Nukem 3D + eduke32 with polymer renderer + high res pack

Experience why people are waiting forever.

Title: Prey
                What you need: copy of Prey + the Linux binary

Best FPS is years. Portals, multiple gravity sources and God forbid: puzzles. You will actually have to solve them.

Title: Serious Sam: First Encounter, Second Encounter and II
                What you need: copy of these three games + Linux binaries

No story, shitload of enemies, large environment, rediculous firepower, speed and jokes. It fscking rules

I'm sure I forgot ten thousand other interesting games, but in the light of these; everything else just sucks anyway...

Comment

"The stock Ubuntu Lucid packages besides NVIDIA's proprietary driver remained with their default versions and configuration."

So Michael ran all the tests with Compiz enabled while Windows didn't have compositing on? Insane. Or does Ubuntu unplug Compiz upon running a 3D application? I don't think Compiz has that kind of a feature built-in.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
                    "The stock Ubuntu Lucid packages besides NVIDIA's proprietary driver remained with their default versions and configuration."

So Michael ran all the tests with Compiz enabled while Windows didn't have compositing on? Insane. Or does Ubuntu unplug Compiz upon running a 3D application? I don't think Compiz has that kind of a feature built-in.
                    If the defaults for each OS aren't the same, sounds like you could contribute to making Ubuntu sane then, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
                      So Michael ran all the tests with Compiz enabled while Windows didn't have compositing on? Insane.
                      This is the whole point. There should be some note Ubuntu has compiz enabled. While it has compiz enabled I don't understand the Phoronix conclusion:

With Lightsmark and Nexuiz when more taxing on the graphics card the NVIDIA graphics driver under Windows moved forward, but with the most demanding Unigine tests the performance was about the same. Of course, these results are just representative with regard to NVIDIA's proprietary driver on both platforms,
                      Nvidia drivers moved forward under Windows, because... Ubuntu has compiz enabled?

Comment

Working...
                      X