Gaming Benchmarks: Windows 7 vs. Ubuntu Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
    Don't modern Windows systems come with Aero enabled as well? (and yes, you can disable compositing from Gnome unless Ubuntu removed that functionality)
    Aero is disabled for 3D apps

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
      That's just bullshit you're saying. This isn't about professional tweaking, just being fair and square. It's idiotic to compare a composited desktop performance to an uncomposited one, totally useless.
      No, it's not useless. It's "bullshit" that Compiz does not disable when OpenGL is in use. If Microsoft is able to figure it out, why isn't thousands upon thousands of open source programmers able to?

The onus isn't on Michael to artificially improve the Linux numbers. It is on the developers to make their system perform better in a stock configuration.

Comment

The issue isn't disabling when OpenGL is in use (which happens even with a lot of 2D toolkits) AFAIK, it's disabling compositing when a fullscreen app is running.

Compiz already has an option for that.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by unimatrix View Post
          The sooner everyone accepts that Linux still lacks graphics improvements the better.
          Hey there. Lots of improvements lately, still not perfect. Btw, what do you mean with accept? Should we just curl up in a corner and cry?

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
            The problem is, there is no frigging real games on Linux.

Can we pls compare:

Age of Empires III
            Assassin's Creed
            Batman Arkham Asylum
            Battlefield 2142 / Bad Company 2
            Burnout Paradise
            Call of Duty - World at War
            Company of Heroes
            Crysis / WARHEAD
            Counter Strike Source
            DiRT 1 / 2
            Fallout 3
            Far Cry 2
            FEAR / Perseus Mandate
            GRID
            GTA SA / 4
            HL2 EP2
            Left 4 Dead 1 / 2
            Mass Effect 2
            Modern Warfare 2
            Need for Speed 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13
            Portal
            Red Alert 3 / Uprising
            Sniper Ghost Warrior
            StarCraft II
            Street Fighter 4
            Team Fortress 2
            The Saboteur
            Unreal Tournament 3 (sigh...)
            X-Men Origins - Wolverine

Please compare how those run in Windows 7 against Linux ?
            Not to mention that is only PART of my regularly played games
            I've played Starcraft 2 both under Linux/Wine and Windows. Sorry to say SC2 under wine even playing in openGL mode with low settings performs like garbage compared to Win7... Which hums along with all the settings on Ultra...

I've had better performance luck with Source games under Wine. Counter Strikes Source plays well enough that I don't bother rebooting my machine into Windows to play nativity.

Also World of Warcraft plays reasonably well... 3d Performance isnt as good as Windows but on thing I have noticed is that my latency is considerably lower when I play under Wine/Linux compared to Windows.

Comment

if i recall correctly Micheal did a gaming benchmark with many linux distros, right? and i think that Mandriva and PC Os were the fastest for gaming at that time i don't know if it's still true! Anyway i think that Micheal has to benchmark on others distros aside ubuntu!

@ FunkyRider: have you played NWN, Penumbra, ETQW, W:ET, UT200x on linux?

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                The issue isn't disabling when OpenGL is in use (which happens even with a lot of 2D toolkits) AFAIK, it's disabling compositing when a fullscreen app is running.

Compiz already has an option for that.
                No it doesn't. Compiz is a compositing window manager and nothing else. It cannot be ran without compositing. When compositing is to be disabled, some other window manager needs to take Compiz's place. Therefore the compositing must be toggled by an outsider application.

Originally posted by locovaca View Post
                No, it's not useless. It's "bullshit" that Compiz does not disable when OpenGL is in use. If Microsoft is able to figure it out, why isn't thousands upon thousands of open source programmers able to?

The onus isn't on Michael to artificially improve the Linux numbers. It is on the developers to make their system perform better in a stock configuration.
                Neither of the operating systems were running "stock configuration". They had custom installations of Nvidia drivers. Michael's benchmarks were both unfair and unprofessional. Sad to see a Linux-enthusiast not give a flying crap about fair game when it comes to benchmarking Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by locovaca View Post
                  Again, if this is a huge issue, file a bug report with Ubuntu. Until Ubuntu changes their policy, Michael won't (and shouldn't) touch the setting in his benchmarks.
                  He could at least stop drawing strange conclusions.

Comment

No it doesn't. Compiz is a compositing window manager and nothing else. It cannot be ran without compositing. When compositing is to be disabled, some other window manager needs to take Compiz's place. Therefore the compositing must be toggled by an outsider application.
                    Nope. Compiz can unredirect fullscreen apps. Worst thing here is that you seem to think that you even know what you're talking about :P

Neither of the operating systems were running "stock configuration". They had custom installations of Nvidia drivers. Michael's benchmarks were both unfair and unprofessional.
                    They didn't have "custom" installations of the drivers. They had normal installations of the drivers as recommended by NVidia.

Comment

as already above stated is compiz able to disable compositing. (the 0.9 version can even fully handle windowmanaging without compositing)

And there is no need to replace anything. X runs perfectly fine without a windowmanager. Depending on where windows are placed by default you can even work like that.

Comment

Working...
                      X