No announcement yet.

PhysX SDK Support Comes Back To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so if you think you will develop programms only for nvidia (linux) users and don?t care about negative social effects that you produce. Go on, free software is about freedom not about profit or the better solution. In mid-/long term mostly that produces the better solution, too. And mostly in long term the other solutions die. If you want to rip-off some people with such proprietary solutions go on, but don?t hope that the biggest part of linux users will buy use your software. Because even the opensource guys mostly got the idea behind free software and they make maybe compromisses (that are bad in my opinion) but as soon as there is a other programm that do the same or nearly the same than your solution most linuxers will go on using that over your solution.

So freesoftware or opensource is giving and taking, not forcing people to a vendor. So yes I don?t tell you what to do, but I say what I think about it.

But even without this free software idealogies -> I <- don?t get it to use a solution that works only with cards from one vendor either this vendor has 30, 40 oder 60% market share.

Comment

Originally posted by blackshard View Post
      mmmh, I don't know what Intel thinks about AMD accelerating its software (Havok is Intel property):

AMD licensed Havoc quite a few years ago already from intel.

Comment

Originally posted by blackshard View Post
        Back to PhysX and for all PhysX aficionados, it is proved that use no more than 1 cpu/core (bad) and use no SIMDs at all (very bad):

PhysX is a key application that Nvidia uses to showcase the advantages of GPU computing (GPGPU) for consumers. PhysX executing on an Nvidia GPU an improve performance by 2-4X compared to running on a CPU from Intel or AMD. We investigated and discovered that CPU PhysX exclusively uses x87 rather than the faster SSE instructions. This hobbles the performance of CPUs, calling into question the real benefits of PhysX on a GPU.

The most prominent reason is to let nvidia graphics card shine against full software mode.
        nvidia pointed out that it was up to the application to use more than one core, and that game developers specifically asked them to make sure it worked on CPUs without SIMD instructions.

Comment

Originally posted by md1032 View Post
          nvidia pointed out that it was up to the application to use more than one core, and that game developers specifically asked them to make sure it worked on CPUs without SIMD instructions.
          Sources please.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
            Sources please.
            Here you go:

Comment

makes sense. Because Crysis runs so well on Pentium MMX.

Nvidia is just a bag of lying shit.

Comment

Well, I suppose it might, as he said, make sense not to assume SSE exists on other platforms like eg PowerPC. (which uses Altivec instead of SSE)

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                  makes sense. Because Crysis runs so well on Pentium MMX.

Nvidia is just a bag of lying shit.
                  Ya because Cell/PPC does SSE so well....

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                    Go on, free software is about freedom not about profit or the better solution.
                    "Free" software is free R&D for large corporations, nothing more and nothing less, no matter how much RMS wants to convince people otherwise.

Unless, of course, you are willing to believe that IBM, the corporation that helped streamline the killing of people in the WWII concentration camps, has a conscience or Intel, AMD, Red Hat, and Novell are running charities.

Comment

Working...
                    X