X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jmcharron
    replied
    Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
    Most serious gamers use a gaming console, i.e. sony or nintendo.
    Most computer users are NOT gamers. Not by a long shot.
    Most of my friends use computers not consoles to do their gaming...

You can spend thousands on a general purpose computer and it STILL won't run your games as well as a cheap console.
    Ummm Nooo. I spent about 1000 to build my computer and it strait kicks ass. Starcraft 2 on ultra settings all day long(on Win7)... And it makes the Unigine Engine Demos its bitch on Windows or Linux... Half-Life 2 series definitely looks better on my computer then it did on any console...

I guess your right if you buy a pre-built Alienware POS you'll spend "THOUSANDS". But all the serious gamers I know build/upgrade their own systems...Gamers my be a fraction of the computer market but they are the ones with the deeper pockets and are willing to spend spend spend.

So I wonder who Nvidia is going to cater to...

Leave a comment:

• md1032
    replied
    VDPAU is TOTALLY IRRELEVANT without nvidia's proprietary implementation of it. You can call it whatever you like, but if something is USELESS without the proprietary, then it IS proprietary!
    You're using a pretty strange definition of the word "proprietary". Are you sure you know what it means?

That is precisely my point. You are making judgements on something you can't possibly have experienced.
    It's possible to make reasoned arguments about things that don't exist yet based on their stated characteristics. By everyone's favorite example, the car analogy, I can reasonably assume that a bunch of lawnmower engines duct taped together won't perform as well as a V6 without actually trying it.

Leave a comment:

• droidhacker
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Also you can look at the steam hardware survey as well. This does represent gamers of course, but that is exactly what Physx is for now isn't it so the stats are somewhat relative. Of all that hardware a vast majority of those Nvidia cards support linux. Lets face it, even in linux people do not go out an buy a intel IGP for gaming.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

Physx isn't used for openssl, it isn't used for websurfing, it isn't used for email, etc etc. It's used for gaming, therefore you have to look at the hardware that gamers use. Target product for a target audience.
    This is a very important point.
    And actually correct in this case.

GAMERS.
    Are a very SMALL minority of computer users.

Most serious gamers use a gaming console, i.e. sony or nintendo.
    Most computer users are NOT gamers. Not by a long shot.

And the reason?
    Simply because you can get yourself a console for $200 to $300, and it does games way better than a general purpose computer.

You can spend thousands on a general purpose computer and it STILL won't run your games as well as a cheap console.

Leave a comment:

• droidhacker
    replied
    Smolts hardware database shows pretty much the same results.
    Wow, you don't think that this might be a result of people still using OLD HARDWARE from back in the days BEFORE Ati had a decent driver? (i.e. before Ati == AMD).

I'm sure you remember the days when it was nvidia-and-nothing-else.

There are also still all the people who just don't understand that THINGS CHANGE -- they are so stuck up and set in their ways that they will spend money on something that will do nothing useful for them just because SOMEBODY ONCE SAID SO.

And then you look around on the internet for comparisons of Ati to nvidia in linux, you see stuff from 2006, don't necessarily THINK that maybe you should find something newer....

And yeah, despite this, nvidia is SO FAR AHEAD of AMD.... 1433 units according to smolt.

Leave a comment:

• droidhacker
    replied
    So then when VA-API is used with ATI I guess that is proprietary as well by your logic.
    No, because it isn't dependent on a blob.

Leave a comment:

• droidhacker
    replied
    Originally posted by md1032 View Post
    You're right that NVIDIA's VDPAU implementation is proprietary, but that doesn't make VDPAU *itself* proprietary.
    VDPAU is TOTALLY IRRELEVANT without nvidia's proprietary implementation of it. You can call it whatever you like, but if something is USELESS without the proprietary, then it IS proprietary!

I.e., following your argument, the nvidia blob driver itself is NOT PROPRIETARY since the kernel layer is open source. Big whoop!

I'm sorry, I should have clarified... people also like having games not be a slideshow.
    A very very tiny fraction of people -- you know, the ones who PLAY GAMES.

I haven't tried an AMD APU because I'd have to replace my whole computer, whereas I can just swap in a different GPU for a fraction of the cost. Also they don't exist yet.
    That is precisely my point. You are making judgements on something you can't possibly have experienced.

Really good physics processing absolutely does require a GPU, despite what you might read on SemiAccurate or wherever.
    Assuming your statement to be true (which is a huge assumption that runs contrary to everything said by everyone other than nvidia), so what? I.e., what difference does it really make? Will lacking this make you sterile or something?

Leave a comment:

• blackshard
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    AMD does rebrand as well, the low-end mobile parts have gotten that. HD5165 and HD5145 are HD46xx and HD48xx parts.
    Yes, but Ati clearly says that those cards are based on hd4xxx series:

http://www.amd.com/us/products/noteb...y-hd-5165.aspx

And also it is a minor rebranding for just two precise mobiity models, not an entire false new generation.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    AMD does rebrand as well, the low-end mobile parts have gotten that. HD5165 and HD5145 are HD46xx and HD48xx parts.

Leave a comment:

• energyman
    replied
    deanjo, you are posting bullshit, as blackshard has shown.

There is a difference between an ERRATA and SEVERAL GENERATIONS OF CHIPSETS DYING.
    There was no rebranding by AMD. The 3000 series as different from the 2000 series as the NVidia 7000 is different from the 6000. Same for 3000>4000 and 4000>5000. No rebranding.

But nvidia? 8XXX>9YYY rebranding 9YYYY> GTS2XY rebranding. And now 2XY>3ZX rebranding - to rip off customers.

There were perfectly fine systems incorporating an AMD product with an added Nvidia card to have physx.
    What did Nvidia? Driver update that shut those cards down. People paid money, people got shafted. That is nothing but fraud.

And the last point: yes SSE is not on GPUs. But that is not the problem. The problem is that you have to jump to douzends of loops to not use SSE in binaries compiled for modern CPUs (CPUs not GPUs. You get it? ). And Nvidia did. Why? So nobody would realize how much Physx on GPUs sucks.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Sixpack
    replied
    Originally posted by blackshard View Post
    Senseless response again. Sincerely, I don't understand what's the meaning of this response...
    *backslap*

Don't you ever, ever, EVER argue with an Nvidia fanboy. They're the biggest waste of time on the internet. They can list 1,000 reasons why ATi sucks without actually using the product or even reading the reviews.

(p.s. The biggest re-branding ripoff of all time has to be the 9800GT)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X