X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

64-bit linux compat check is up.

Comment

Originally posted by quintesse View Post
      Using the Open Source drivers? Really? I didn't know that.
      It worked really well, but there was one setting that made it look like a tye-dye shirt. I think it was motion blur?

Comment

Yes, motion blur.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
          Sure, I played through the Penumbra trilogy using r600c. Well, I got bored with the last installment eventually, but other than motion blur, everything worked perfectly.
          I just check WineHQ and it seems all Penumbra games seem to suffer from graphical glitches, crashes after first puzzles, etc.

Comment

V!ncent, the native linux versions of course.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              V!ncent, the native linux versions of course.
              Damn I should have checked Wikipedia. That list however is incomplete.

If I buy the digital download of the Penumbra Collection (Linux) then is there some nasty copy protection/DRM there? And can I only run it on Linux or also under Windows? This in case something radical like Wayland comes around anc I need to run it under Wine? And what if my internet connection drops for some reason while I'm downloading, then can I download it again or do I need to pay for a download again?

If somebody can answer these questions for me then that would be awesome.

Comment

I don't recall having any problems with graphical glitches or crashes, except for the problem with motion blur.

There's no DRM, there's a serial number check, but I don't think you need to be online for it to work. I'm pretty sure you can download it again if the connection drops, and even if you can't I wouldn't worry, the devs are quite friendly and helpful.

The first part of the game is open source (thanks to the Humble Bundle) so if/when Wayland comes along there's always a chance for a native port.

Comment

And can I only run it on Linux or also under Windows?
                  Talk to their publisher about that. Frictional Games only handles the Mac and Linux ports, the windows ports are all through their publisher which has a few seats on the Massengill board of directors, so...

This in case something radical like Wayland comes around anc I need to run it under Wine? And what if my internet connection drops for some reason while I'm downloading, then can I download it again or do I need to pay for a download again?
                  IIRC the download link stays open for a week. They are fairly decent people and aren't out to screw you over.

Also the graphic glitches on Linux were fixed with their last patch that is available on their forums, as were a lot of the sound issues that people had. Wikipedia is worthless for anything but for comedy.

Comment

I will verify this with the publisher, but if it's all true;
                    -One week download window is fair enough.
                    -serial number is not of a disadvantage to me.
                    -Even if only one game is open source then there's enough of a garantee for the future to me.
                    -I think 17 euros is totaly worth it even for one game so I would not mind if the next two games would not be playable in the future (although I realy wouldn't like that)

This game look very original and a lot of fun. PayPal is also available so I'm gonna buy it.

Comment

Just to add, I had some trouble downloading, and the developers were very helpful in helping me (although I used a special offer and only paid $5).

From everything I have seen, they are a decent indie company with devs who care about all users, including Linux.

The first Penumbra game has been GPLed (and some gentoo guys are porting it to amd64 and a later physics engine). All three work just fine on r600c without any noticeable glitches -- only motion blur and AA doesn't work on r600c. I've played all three games in 1920x1080.

As soon as it works with the free drivers, I will get Amnesia too.

Comment

Working...
                      X