No announcement yet.

The ATI Radeon R600/700 Gallium3D Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To my knowledge the base gallium interface is still experiencing dramatically changes here and there, I think this prevents it from going mainstream. This partly caused manpower would still prefer putting more focus on classic mesa drivers and treat gallium side only as an experiment.

Comment

I expect the DX11 cards will catch up with the previous generations this year.

We're kind of at the "everything seems to be working, why does nothing appear on the screen today ? It worked yesterday and I didn't change anything..." stage.

Gallium3D changes seem to have slowed down recently, in the sense that the changes are more like enhancements than "changing the basics".
      Test signature

Comment

I'd be happy just to have OpenGL 2.1 support on r700 right now. That at least would bring things up to par with what most commercial OpenGL apps require as a minimum version these days.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
          I'd be happy just to have OpenGL 2.1 support on r700 right now. That at least would bring things up to par with what most commercial OpenGL apps require as a minimum version these days.
          Ditto this, but for r800. Of course, the way things are going, you'll have this before I do.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

We're kind of at the "everything seems to be working, why does nothing appear on the screen today ? It worked yesterday and I didn't change anything..." stage.

Gallium3D changes seem to have slowed down recently, in the sense that the changes are more like enhancements than "changing the basics".
            So AFAIU you work on Gallium drivers only now? Is this some development on r600g, or did you already started r800g or expanding r600g with Evergreen support?

Is there any estimated arrival time for releasing update for r600g with glxgears support? Can we get this earlier than later? So we can track on development and report regressions?

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

so that means 1/3 is done .... only 1/3 left to release.

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
                Most likely:
                Discussion of the X Server and related X.Org components, including X Input, Multi-Pointer X, and Multi-Touch. The Linux Kernel DRM (Direct Rendering Manager) can also be discussed.

I wouldn't mind if Phoronix actually went out and interviewed the people involved instead, it would make a more interesting article.
                What? You think that's how journalism works?

Oh..

Comment

We will be releasing initial evergreen support in the r600c driver. The code is mostly written at this point (most of it is shared with the older generations), we're just at the hard part now where things aren't rendering right in certain cases, and tracking them down is tricky. The only thing left for release is final approval on the new IP involved. Once the initial evergreen code and docs are released, we'll probably switch our focus to gallium since that's where the community is focused. Keep in mind that the AMD plan has always been to support the driver development community, not to write the drivers ourselves. In some cases this means doing a lot of the initial work to get the information out there and to provide a working baseline to get the community started.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                    Keep in mind that the AMD plan has always been to support the driver development community, not to write the drivers ourselves. In some cases this means doing a lot of the initial work to get the information out there and to provide a working baseline to get the community started.
                    Given the discussion earlier about how few people in the community really have the skills and background to do effective video driver development, I'm not sure if this is good news or not.

Comment

So the only thing holding back initial 3d Evergreen support is the IP green light?

That's good news. How about EXA/Xv? I assume that this is included, since most of it is shared with r600 and it's all on shaders anyway?

Comment

Working...
                      X