No announcement yet.

Unigine Is Working On A Strategy Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At last a modern 3d strategy game for linux. If it will be any good, im definitely buing it. Heck, if the price is not too high, i will buy it before I know if its any good.

Comment

@Big spring screeshot:

Ow my eyes. The aliasing!

This is why we _need_ antialiasing on linux.

Comment

Oo

Oh my kernel! If this is really going to have good mechanics such as Warcraft or Starcraft (don't tell these mechanics suck.. they're godlike), and also runs on Linux.. I can't take it anymore

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          @Big spring screeshot:

Ow my eyes. The aliasing!

This is why we _need_ antialiasing on linux.
          Rofl... you compare a full screenshot with a "downsampled" one. Of course the downsampled one looks smoother, it has been downsampled!

That said in a real game with transparency and other interesting effects (including def-ren) AA doesn't work anyways so it's mood to moan about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
            Rofl... you compare a full screenshot with a "downsampled" one. Of course the downsampled one looks smoother, it has been downsampled!

That said in a real game with transparency and other interesting effects (including def-ren) AA doesn't work anyways so it's mood to moan about it.
            Downsampling aside, I'm betting the shots are from Windows, where AA works.

It's a big mood killer to see those huge jaggies. So if an effect disables those, I'd much rather disable the effect.

Comment

s/disables those/disables AA/

Comment

You don't seem to get it but okay, nothing one can do about. AA is not the holy grail and especially fails for techs like def-ren. If you wan to disable an entire game, okay, nothing to play for you, touch luck :P

Also AA looks most of them time blurry. Why taking performance hit for something which looks doesn't look much better or even blurry?

Comment

Guess we just have to agree to disagree here. To me AA looks a lot better than jaggy borders.

Yeah, I admit have no idea what def-ren is; I take it's an effect, like fog or bloom, because you said so:
                  Originally posted by Dragonlord
                  That said in a real game with transparency and other interesting effects (including def-ren)

Comment

Def-Ren short for Deferred Rendering or sometimes called Deferred Shading. A technique for rendering scenes. Sort of the opposite of Forward Rendering. Def-Ren allows to render scenes which parameters Forward Rendering can not handle. AA as an effect (Def-Ren is a render technique not an effect) is designed and works with Forward Rendering but doesn't work with Def-Ren since the rendering process is decoupled (depth pass, geometry pass, lighting pass, post-process pass and so forth). Def-Ren though is the future. There exists hacks misusing MSBs (Multi Sampling Buffers) trying to simulate AA but in general they are even worse than AA itself. But that's not really a problem since as mentioned AA doesn't look good so it won't be missed in the long run.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation.

- is there any other way then to getting rid of the jagged edges?
                      - regardless of rendering tech, the picture has to come to the screen at once. I would believe those AA techniques that work at that part would still work?

Comment

Working...
                      X