Is LGP Going The Way Of Loki Software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hiryu View Post
    For X3, does someone know of a functional and (this is important) left-handed friendly flight stick? This has kept me from playing the game pased 45 minutes. I like the game a lot so far, but my current flight stick is too anemic for how I want to play the game, and all the others I see that are good enough are strictly for right-handers.
    I've tried X3 with 2 good flight sticks, and I wouldn't recommend it - the game is really geared towards mouse control. Even space battles are a problem, since all fight is done at too far a distance for a joystick to be convenient (not precise enough unless you'd get really close, and you'd be dust before you'd get close enough).

Comment

Well, whatever.

I'm personally happy with what LGP provides. I didn't care for the DRM either, but I was able to live with it. Now that I understand why the DRM is there in the first place, I have even less a problem with it.

I, unfortunately, didn't know LGP even existed until they had that big sale not too far back and saw a news posting on it (probably on phoronix, I don't think slashdot even posted anything up about that sale). Until then, I had no idea. I promptly purchased X3 and Jets 'n Guns.

I received X3 in a timely manager, but Jets 'n Guns I didn't receive until months later, and when I finally did get it (after sending some emails back and forth), it was for the regular price and not the sale price. I wouldn't have put up with this from any regular company. But I made an exception for a linux company (in particular, a linux game company).

I tried the Shadowgrounds: survivor demo, loved it, and ordered it as well as the previous Shadowgrounds game. This time around I received games quickly with no issues. Fortunately, it seems my issue with Jets 'n Guns was a fluke, and not a common occurrence.

While this isn't entirely off topic, I have some comments and questions:

I don't mind paying more money for native linux games, because I'm more than happy to have... native linux games. In fact, I'd like to buy more.

To recap, I currently have:
      X3
      Shadowgrounds
      Shadowgrounds: Survivor
      Jets 'n Guns

Can anyone recommend some more good titles for me to buy?

LGP team, can you PLEASE patch your shadowground games to run properly on 64-bit linux? I'm tired of having to explicitly point these games to use the correct gtk libraries (ie, the ones that ship with the game). This would be TRIVIAL to fix. If there's a shortage of manpower, I'd be willing to help with the fix personally.

For X3, does someone know of a functional and (this is important) left-handed friendly flight stick? This has kept me from playing the game pased 45 minutes. I like the game a lot so far, but my current flight stick is too anemic for how I want to play the game, and all the others I see that are good enough are strictly for right-handers.
      Cold War is a really fun third person shooter with a decent enough story. It will keep you hooked for 20 odd hours or so, and it does have replay at the higher levels. It got very good reviews on Linux, and is well worth the 27 pounds. This really is a great, fun game. Check out the linux games review of this game. Great game imo.

Comment

To recap, I currently have:
        X3
        Shadowgrounds
        Shadowgrounds: Survivor
        Jets 'n Guns

Can anyone recommend some more good titles for me to buy?
        I tremendously enjoyed Ankh, Ankh2, Jack Keane & Sacred.
        The first 3 are adventure games (ported by Runesoft), and Sacred is a 3D/2.5D isometric hack&slash.

Had lots of fun/frustration with Cold War, which is a very, very unusual game. You play a framed American reporter in Soviet Russia during the cold war. A puzzle game, very akin to the old Hitman series.

Comment

LGP deserves every penny and more for delivering games to a traditionally difficult market. May then long continue.

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for the responses folks, I will finally start playing X3 (with a mouse). The good thing about this approach is that I can take the game anywhere with me on my laptop.

I am going to look into cold war now!

Comment

Originally posted by miles View Post
              I've tried X3 with 2 good flight sticks, and I wouldn't recommend it - the game is really geared towards mouse control. Even space battles are a problem, since all fight is done at too far a distance for a joystick to be convenient (not precise enough unless you'd get really close, and you'd be dust before you'd get close enough).
              [LONG, please bear with me, it may solve the problem]
              I couldn't disagree more!
              I've played both X2 and X3 on CH Flightstick pro (until it died) and Saitek X52 and I couldn't imagine trying to play X3, especially a modified X3, with mouse only. Here's why:

1. Joystick / throttle combo is far better handling multiple concurrent controls with acceptable precision, read: changing the pitch/yaw while adjusting the throttle, strafing left/right, changing targets and shooting the main gun array. While it might sound far fetched, it's more-or-less required if you want to survive heavy guns fights, especially on highly modified X3's. (X3 with XTM, RRF and a touch of rebalancing)

2. Keybaord mapping: On the X52 I used a software of my own creation (sourceforge'd) to map large number of key combos to the different buttons on the joystick and throttle. This is more-or-less required if you want to master item 1.

As for the subject at hand (targeting enemies), well, a couple of things:
              A. X3 includes a rudimentary physics model. While far from being real (Ships behave like aircraft instead of free-space fighters), both ships and gun fire are effected by this model (E.g. shooting while banking will spin the gun fire, much like corner kicks in football) making unaided aiming (see below) very hard. Especially when you're still flying a light-weight fighter, fighting other light weight fighters.
              B. In order to "solve" the problem, you simply dock at the nearest equipment dock, and buy a "Fight Command Software" Mk1 and Mk2, this will not only give you a calculated hit-box (which more-or-less mimics modern fighters "pickle"), it also gives you some level of gun-fire-aiming corrections (Controlled by the "k" key). Just to clear, this is not a cheat, this a part of the game; Computer controlled fighters are either equipped with it (and nail you from 3KM) or not (and miss you from 20m). -Do not- trying to enter a gun-fight without one!

Beyond that, beyond the well documented issues with LGP support, X3 is an -amazing- game.
              While the base game is no better than X2, the -huge- amounts of extensions, modifications and scripts (let alone the ability to customize the game yourself) that change each and every aspect of the game makes the best game I ever played, bar none. (...Even my wife agrees)

On the down side, X3 is a very steep learning curve. It has a fairly complex economy model and technology curve, making it far from ideal to anyone looking for a point-and-shoot space shoot-em-up game.
              However, if you are willing to spend the time (and the frustration) required to master this game, you'll understand that the only thing more satisfying than killing 10 enemy fighters and getting 10,000 credit reward is to command a fleet of 20 battleship and 10 dreadnoughts and let them clean one of the Xenon or Khaak sectors gaining a 100,000,000 credit reward

[/LONG]

- Gilboa
              P.S. I don't work or affiliated in way to LGP.
              oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
              oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
              oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
              Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

(Sorry for the Piglish. Annoying 1m edit limit)
                oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Working...
                X