Is LGP Going The Way Of Loki Software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    Depends on what you're buying or not buying. The moment you buy a Windows title, that's what you're doing- anything else is lying to yourself and others. Now, if you're just not buying, well...that's your own lookout, but counts more for not voting at all. You don't show up on radar on that note.
    Not if there is no Linux title. I just think most of the pay for Linux games just aren't worth it. I just wish there were some better titles for Linux. If you guys had a port of COD or something I would definitely consider buying it. It would also be nice if I could go to the store and pick up a game that will also run on Linux. Having to buy from a place like LGP is a pain. I really wish that LGP would just be contracted by the game companies, and when I bought my game some of the profits would go to you guys.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
      Not if there is no Linux title. I just think most of the pay for Linux games just aren't worth it. I just wish there were some better titles for Linux. If you guys had a port of COD or something I would definitely consider buying it. It would also be nice if I could go to the store and pick up a game that will also run on Linux. Having to buy from a place like LGP is a pain. I really wish that LGP would just be contracted by the game companies, and when I bought my game some of the profits would go to you guys.
      Excuse me, you ARE lying to yourself and others outright if you think buying a Windows title would count for anything other than more Windows titles. They don't have a tick-box, "Bought Windows, using under Linux" for any of the registration options for pretty much everything out there- you bought a Windows SKU, it counts as a WINDOWS purchase, nothing more.

Comment

Excuse me, you ARE lying to yourself and others outright if you think buying a Windows title would count for anything other than more Windows titles. They don't have a tick-box, "Bought Windows, using under Linux" for any of the registration options for pretty much everything out there- you bought a Windows SKU, it counts as a WINDOWS purchase, nothing more.
        But if all the games under Linux, that are pay for, suck, I am going to buy a Windows title. I hope you understand, I am not attacking your porting abilities, just the titles you were actually able to get your hands on.

Comment

Keep in mind, I'm not trying to be ugly here LinuxID10T.

I'm trying to point out highly counterproductive lines of thought that people keep seeming to have here. An IDENTICAL conversation produced the wishlist threads and one published port, an ongoing port, and at least one title still in negotiations as a result of me deciding to change the rules.

You're going to have to ditch the bad ideas and come up with something better if you're going to get anywhere with Linux Gaming- and it doesn't start with buying Windows titles and claiming you're "voting for better titles" because not a single part of the Game Industy works the way you're thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
            But if all the games under Linux, that are pay for, suck, I am going to buy a Windows title. I hope you understand, I am not attacking your porting abilities, just the titles you were actually able to get your hands on.
            If you're not going to vote FOR Linux for whatever reasons you have (I'm not challenging your complaint- I get you don't want anything out there and you want the "shiny" stuff that others have...) you need to realize that buying a Windows title is not going to help things AT ALL. They don't have a magic window into what OS you're running- they think you're running Windows.

Comment

If you're not going to vote FOR Linux for whatever reasons you have (I'm not challenging your complaint- I get you don't want anything out there and you want the "shiny" stuff that others have...) you need to realize that buying a Windows title is not going to help things AT ALL. They don't have a magic window into what OS you're running- they think you're running Windows.
              So what should I do instead? I have a PS3, and that is normally what I buy games for. Every once in a while I buy a PC game though. I just wish we had a way to buy a AAA game using Linux, but you aren't giving it to us, nor are the big game companies.

Comment

Well you also have to realize that asking a gamer to NOT buy a solution that fixes their itch is not a reasonable thing to ask as well. If anything it can damage the PC gaming ecosystem even further. " Game doesn't sell on windows, ok next release is console only". Every non vote for windows is more then likely to be counted as a vote against PC gaming and linux never will even come into consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  Well you also have to realize that asking a gamer to NOT buy a solution that fixes their itch is not a reasonable thing to ask as well. If anything it can damage the PC gaming ecosystem even further. " Game doesn't sell on windows, ok next release is console only". Every non vote for windows is more then likely to be counted as a vote against PC gaming and linux never will even come into consideration.
                  I very much like your point. Personally, I think it would be pretty cool to use a Linux live CD like you would a game console. Just a thought though...

Comment

I always wonder where the 20:1 piracy figures come from, because whenever I think of checking that I usually can't find a single LGP game shared anywhere.
                    Just now a search for "linux" at TBP has 1 LGP title, out of 79 hits.

Before accusing me of failing morals because of the above, consider that I haven't pirated a single computer game in years. :P

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                      There is a problem there, yes. But voting for Windows doesn't fix things at all either. Perhaps that is the way that AAA titles will go for a while as the Indies building up steam now are going up the food chain.

I'll be honest and state I think that most (over 2/3rds...) of the AAA titles aren't and weren't worth buying in the first place. I think the only titles I've bought that were AAA that were worth the cash was Fallout 3, God of War III, and Heavy Rain. Most of the rest of the stuff I see on the shelves hasn't appealed to me or was drek.

Perhaps we're arguing about something that's a bit less relevant than we think it is...

Comment

Working...
                      X