No announcement yet.

Is LGP Going The Way Of Loki Software?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem is that the ballot only has "Linux" and "Windows" to choose from - there's no box for "better games".

I agree there should be, but it's not clear what you would need to buy in order to send the message you want and not have it misinterpreted as a vote for something else.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      The problem is that the ballot only has "Linux" and "Windows" to choose from - there's no box for "better games".

I agree there should be, but it's not clear what you would need to buy in order to send the message you want and not have it misinterpreted as a vote for something else.
      There are lots of great games for Linux and for Windows, I just wish that I could get a real AAA title on Linux. Last time I bought a AAA title for Linux was X-Plane, and before that Quake 4. I wish I could see a bit more effort to have in house Linux ports like these games do. Call of Duty: Black Ops for Linux would be my dream, or maybe Crysis 2 for Linux. Essentially, I would like to vote for good Linux games.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
        No we are voting with our money for better games, not Windows.
        Depends on what you're buying or not buying. The moment you buy a Windows title, that's what you're doing- anything else is lying to yourself and others. Now, if you're just not buying, well...that's your own lookout, but counts more for not voting at all. You don't show up on radar on that note.

Comment

There are lots of great games for Linux and for Windows, I just wish that I could get a real AAA title on Linux. Last time I bought a AAA title for Linux was X-Plane, and before that Quake 4. I wish I could see a bit more effort to have in house Linux ports like these games do. Call of Duty: Black Ops for Linux would be my dream, or maybe Crysis 2 for Linux. Essentially, I would like to vote for good Linux games.
          I think you'd get all of us to concur with you on that score.

Unfortunately, it's EXCESSIVELY difficult to get what you're looking for without going up the food-chain on stuff first. MacOS people had to do that and fortunately for them, there wasn't WINE or dual booting things for them- so they bought what was there for their chosen OS. If Valve does what Phoronix keeps claiming in rumor to be doing, things will change slightly- but only if they move Source to Linux as well as Steam and make their titles available. Otherwise, you've got less than one would think because there's still no AAA titles, per se, that meet your criteria at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
            Depends on what you're buying or not buying. The moment you buy a Windows title, that's what you're doing- anything else is lying to yourself and others. Now, if you're just not buying, well...that's your own lookout, but counts more for not voting at all. You don't show up on radar on that note.
            Not if there is no Linux title. I just think most of the pay for Linux games just aren't worth it. I just wish there were some better titles for Linux. If you guys had a port of COD or something I would definitely consider buying it. It would also be nice if I could go to the store and pick up a game that will also run on Linux. Having to buy from a place like LGP is a pain. I really wish that LGP would just be contracted by the game companies, and when I bought my game some of the profits would go to you guys.

Comment

Not if there is no Linux title. I just think most of the pay for Linux games just aren't worth it. I just wish there were some better titles for Linux. If you guys had a port of COD or something I would definitely consider buying it. It would also be nice if I could go to the store and pick up a game that will also run on Linux. Having to buy from a place like LGP is a pain. I really wish that LGP would just be contracted by the game companies, and when I bought my game some of the profits would go to you guys.
              Excuse me, you ARE lying to yourself and others outright if you think buying a Windows title would count for anything other than more Windows titles. They don't have a tick-box, "Bought Windows, using under Linux" for any of the registration options for pretty much everything out there- you bought a Windows SKU, it counts as a WINDOWS purchase, nothing more.

Comment

Excuse me, you ARE lying to yourself and others outright if you think buying a Windows title would count for anything other than more Windows titles. They don't have a tick-box, "Bought Windows, using under Linux" for any of the registration options for pretty much everything out there- you bought a Windows SKU, it counts as a WINDOWS purchase, nothing more.
                But if all the games under Linux, that are pay for, suck, I am going to buy a Windows title. I hope you understand, I am not attacking your porting abilities, just the titles you were actually able to get your hands on.

Comment

Keep in mind, I'm not trying to be ugly here LinuxID10T.

I'm trying to point out highly counterproductive lines of thought that people keep seeming to have here. An IDENTICAL conversation produced the wishlist threads and one published port, an ongoing port, and at least one title still in negotiations as a result of me deciding to change the rules.

You're going to have to ditch the bad ideas and come up with something better if you're going to get anywhere with Linux Gaming- and it doesn't start with buying Windows titles and claiming you're "voting for better titles" because not a single part of the Game Industy works the way you're thinking.

Comment

But if all the games under Linux, that are pay for, suck, I am going to buy a Windows title. I hope you understand, I am not attacking your porting abilities, just the titles you were actually able to get your hands on.
                    If you're not going to vote FOR Linux for whatever reasons you have (I'm not challenging your complaint- I get you don't want anything out there and you want the "shiny" stuff that others have...) you need to realize that buying a Windows title is not going to help things AT ALL. They don't have a magic window into what OS you're running- they think you're running Windows.

Comment

If you're not going to vote FOR Linux for whatever reasons you have (I'm not challenging your complaint- I get you don't want anything out there and you want the "shiny" stuff that others have...) you need to realize that buying a Windows title is not going to help things AT ALL. They don't have a magic window into what OS you're running- they think you're running Windows.
                      So what should I do instead? I have a PS3, and that is normally what I buy games for. Every once in a while I buy a PC game though. I just wish we had a way to buy a AAA game using Linux, but you aren't giving it to us, nor are the big game companies.

Comment

Working...
                      X