Issue with Xmame.x11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue with Xmame.x11

I have been trying to set up wahcade on my ubuntu install but I am having an issue with xmame.x11 and opengl. I can select roms but they will not start. checking the emulator log I get the following;

Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

libgl is installed so I dont know why xmame is not seeing it. xmame will start from the terminal but not from wahcade.

Originally posted by Efaustus9 View Post
    I have been trying to set up wahcade on my ubuntu install but I am having an issue with xmame.x11 and opengl. I can select roms but they will not start. checking the emulator log I get the following;

Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

libgl is installed so I dont know why xmame is not seeing it. xmame will start from the terminal but not from wahcade.
    There's several possible root causes to this- first question unanswered by your post that'll help start narrowing it down: Were you using the debian .deb files or compiling from source?

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
      There's several possible root causes to this- first question unanswered by your post that'll help start narrowing it down: Were you using the debian .deb files or compiling from source?
      Thanks for the reply. I downloaded xmame from the repos. wahcade I downloaded from the authors webpage as a .deb file. xmame will run from the terminal but it does so rather poorly (e.g. poor frame rate, sound skips). mupen64plus runs fine as do a number of other emulators that employ graphic acceleration, so I am curious as to what the issue is with xmame. Also if I use GMAMEUI to launch games I get no sound and I can not activate opengl.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I downloaded xmame from the repos. wahcade I downloaded from the authors webpage as a .deb file.
        Next question: Have you tried to compile the wrapper from the source files?

xmame will run from the terminal but it does so rather poorly (e.g. poor frame rate, sound skips). mupen64plus runs fine as do a number of other emulators that employ graphic acceleration, so I am curious as to what the issue is with xmame. Also if I use GMAMEUI to launch games I get no sound and I can not activate opengl.
        If it gets poor framerates, it might be doing software rendering via software Mesa3D instead of the hardware accelerated path.

Comment

Xmame is ridiculously out of date. Use SDLMame instead.

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot2 View Post
            Xmame is ridiculously out of date. Use SDLMame instead.
            Oh, yeah...that too...

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I installed a pre-compiled sdlmame.deb from here;

SDLMAME, Ubuntu, MAME, Linux, packages, repository, repo

the newest version offered is for 9.10. It has the same issue as xmame. leaving opengl active in the ini results in terrible performance. also sdlmame is only recognizing a fraction of my roms. I have not really built many packages from source and the newest directions for sdlmame I can find are for 8.10.

Comment

the newest version offered is for 9.10. It has the same issue as xmame. leaving opengl active in the ini results in terrible performance. also sdlmame is only recognizing a fraction of my roms. I have not really built many packages from source and the newest directions for sdlmame I can find are for 8.10.
                Ok... Any other 3D applications that might run against the machine- and what graphics adapter do you have for OpenGL support?

Comment

I am using a default ubuntu install with xorg open ati drivers. I dont know what I am using for opengl. I just know that a number of applications that use opengl on my computer work. Do you know how I would determine what I am using for opengl?

Comment

I am using a default ubuntu install with xorg open ati drivers. I dont know what I am using for opengl. I just know that a number of applications that use opengl on my computer work. Do you know how I would determine what I am using for opengl?
                    running

glxinfo |grep render

will tell you if you're using hardware accelerated OpenGL or software GL.

however, i'm under the impression that the OSS ATI driver isn't quite on par w/ the proprietary drivers 3D-wise(i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong on this account(Nvidia user here)).

Comment

Working...
                    X