Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

• Comment

• I'd be inclined to gloat, but rather I'll say that this is an AWESOME turn of events. Much like the story with AMD... ;-D

Comment

• Originally posted by Hirager View Post
          Sad, but true. I think that the very sales model we have today has a flaw which leads to degeneration of games. Pay once for everything upfront. This forces the industry to constantly create new products, which inevitably leads to quality loss. Imagine you pay a small, but regular fee for every update of your favourite game. Imagine your first game you played and loved running with enhanced graphics on modern computer after so many years, with so much added content. It would be possible, if only the other sales model had been established.
          Now, if only you could convince them of that. This one has origins from the beginnings of the home computer era.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
            Now, if only you could convince them of that. This one has origins from the beginnings of the home computer era.
            Take your micro-payment strategy and blow it out your ass.

Comment

• Originally posted by nukem View Post
              While in class today I asked a number of friends who have Macs if they tried Steam for Mac yet. Everyone of them who said they have Steam said they can't launch Portal(currently the only ported game) due to problems with Steam. My current theory as why Valve has announced or released anything Linux related is because they can't handle the additional Mac users, they need to wait for the server load to die down.
              Strange, Portal on my Mac (well, not mine, but that does not matter ) works well I got it for free, you know, anniversary

Comment

• Hi, doubters. How is the doubt now with the Steam Linux client out in open beta?

Comment

• it wasn't about stating it wouldn't come to linux (at least for me, go read all my past posts on this), it was how it was handled by phoronix, really really badly.

Comment

• Now it's official:

Steam is the ultimate destination for playing, discussing, and creating games.

Comment

Working...
                    X