Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Naib View Post
    So in conclusion Michael‎/Phoronix was peddling a speculation based upon a speculation as FACT *sigh*

Even if/when Valve release STEAM for linux in say 10years time with SOURCE-based games available I am sure Michael‎/Phoronix would then say "see see I called it but noone believe me"

Time to just let lay this to rest. STEAM on linux would be great, Valve would like to provide but have no plans for the immediate future

now stop trolling us on this topic Michael‎/Phoronix its damaging your credibility
    I've seen you say exactly this at least four times now. I'm fairly confident it won't be the last time, either.

Frankly I'm not sure where some of it even comes from. What we're talking about, (or at least what I _think_ we're talking about), is the latest Gabe Newell interview where he broached the Linux subject unprompted and said that any project they undertake is done at the expense of other ones. Mr, Newell did not say they had no plans for Steam/Source on Linux - I did, and it was as an example of what Newell _would_ say if he wanted to quash the notion that a port was in the pipeline.

Comment

• Originally posted by Larian View Post
      I've seen you say exactly this at least four times now. I'm fairly confident it won't be the last time, either.
      Not exactly this but along the same lines AND even then it is way below the number of times Michael‎/Phoronix has stated across a number of articles that STEAM is coming to linux.

When it was 1st announced it was ZOMG!!!, then this thread stating it coming and that it was CONFIRMED came out and it was ZOMGZOMGZOMG!!!
      The summer came and no linux client - ok valve time and all
      The autumn came and no linux client BUT more articles re-affirming its coming and it is confirmed - ok valve time and all
      The winter came and no linux client and with a VALVE website update saying there is no plans to release a linux client BUT still more acticles re-affirming its coming

after many a calls for Michael‎/Phoronix to either put up or shut up more and more articles kept coming saying "people don't believe me but its coming"

Finally we have this statement from Mr Valve himself which can put this pathetic case of failed journalism from Michael‎/Phoronix finally to rest

I hope Valve do find some time and an incentive to invest in linux and I hope they don't goto Michael‎/Phoronix to break the news when they finally decide todo it ( and I firmly believe that that time will come)

Comment

• Originally posted by Desti View Post
        http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...rethree10.html

Windows 8 will have Xbox Live game service pre-installed. Steam is doomed.
        Windows 8 looks like crap, so not a chance.

Comment

• oh well

Comment

• Originally posted by Licaon View Post
            oh well

How do you get that? Steam always instantly quits when I try to open system information.

Comment

• Originally posted by Desti View Post
              How do you get that? Steam always instantly quits when I try to open system information.
              yeah, it use to crash but it works now using latest git WINe

Comment

• Hi,

It works with wine 1.3.22 or newer.
                Steam is now tracking wine version, perhaps they are checking to see how many wine users there are, to know if its worth making a steam linux client.

Make sure to participate in the next hardware survey, this is our chance!

mastertheknife.

Comment

• Originally posted by mastertheknife View Post
                  Hi,

Steam is now tracking wine version, perhaps they are checking to see how many wine users there are, to know if its worth making a steam linux client.

mastertheknife.
                  Do I need to enable anything to get into the survey?
                  But it will take some month until it gets into the stable trees of the most distributions.

Comment

• Originally posted by mastertheknife View Post
                    Hi,

mastertheknife.
                    seems like my screenshot made its way to phoronix
                    anyway, i doubt it will change anything.
                    probably they wont put it into the hardware survey anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by imamdxl View Post
                      I dont understand this, Valve's Source engine is not even ported to OpenGL renderer for Mac, what they used instead used a OpenGL wrapper to the engine pretty much like WINE and Cedega (I hope it is not WINE). The engine still itself interects with DirectX.
                      That's why they did not provide OpenGL renderer for Source engine games on Windows like Blizzard Entertainment's game, which is pretty much same thing, will cause additional overhead instead of increasing performance.

If their engine is not native to the specific platform than We can use WINE instead.

Cheers.
                      WINE doesn't support multithreading version of Source Engine, so it's important to have native one (even if it will use some wrapper).

Comment

Working...
                      X