Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• actualy opera just edited source of that hardware survey and applyed

Comment

• Valve has recently announced the release of Steam, including all Source and Half-Life engine games to many new platforms. These platforms are Minix, FreeBSD on ia64, NetBSD on m68k, OpenBSD on MIPS, Solaris 10 on Sparc, OpenSolaris on Sparc, AIX, SCO UnixWare, SCO OpenServer and HP/UX. Despite recent rumors about Steam coming to Linux, Linux seems to be missing from the list. When asked why Linux was missing, Valve's response was, "In our efforts to bring Steam to more platforms, it was decided that porting Steam to Linux would not be a worthwhile endeavor because of the lack of popularity of Linux, especially amongst gamers, and the complexity of having to support every major Linux distribution."

***Please note the above statement is a joke and is not factual in any way and should not be taken as a factual statement.

Comment

• Clicky

Among the initial titles available on Wednesday will be Runic Games’ critically acclaimed Torchlight. “We’re very excited to be bringing Torchlight to the Mac,” said Max Schaefer, co-founder of Runic Games. “Having Steam for the Mac solves so many problems for us as a developer. We look forward to our future games coming out on the Mac as well.”...

...Steam for Linus Coming Soon

Runic Games has also confirmed that Stream will be available to Linus users in the coming months...

Comment

• Ah yes, "stream" available to "linus" users. A great trustworthy source they appear to be...

Comment

• Originally posted by mirv View Post
            Ah yes, "stream" available to "linus" users. A great trustworthy source they appear to be...
            Apparently only Torvalds and family gets to use steam... that's rather discriminatory. I call for a boycott!

Comment

• Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
              Apparently only Torvalds and family gets to use steam... that's rather discriminatory. I call for a boycott!
              How can you boycott something that is not available to you in the first place?

Comment

• Counter Strike:Source runs well enough on Wine for me not to even f-en care anymore... I wish Phoronix would of never of posted this article... I know Michael wouldn't release garbage but this story is starting to rot and smell like it.

This really got my hopes up, now I don't know what to think...

Comment

• Originally posted by jmcharron View Post
                  Counter Strike:Source runs well enough on Wine for me not to even f-en care anymore... I wish Phoronix would of never of posted this article... I know Michael wouldn't release garbage but this story is starting to rot and smell like it.

This really got my hopes up, now I don't know what to think...
                  Well it wouldn't be the first time for Valve to say that they're almost done with something, only to miss their own deadline by a year :')

I realhy think Michael is right, but Valve is just being Valve again so we'll have to just wait it out

Comment

• Originally posted by meklu View Post
                    ...Steam for Linus Coming Soon
                    It's a shame my name isn't Linus.

Comment

• I wonder what Richard Stallman would say about Steam on GNU/Linux with all the DRM.

Comment

Working...
                      X