Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by thebwt View Post
    That really depends on how up to date your PA install is.

PA is working to wrap up all former audio packages into a single meta server. It is closest thing we've ever ad to a unified sound system.
    I don't want a freaking sound server. What's wrong with: app -> library -> driver -> sound card

Do the mixing in kernel for all I care, but enough with this server nonsense. And as long as pulseaudio keeps spamming my log files with stuff like this:

Code:
    pulseaudio[1505]: ratelimit.c: 280 events suppressed
    It will always be crap to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
      They think we're a bunch of pirates
      Considering the number of individuals arguing against copyright on Linux and tech forums and considering the flames that result from people pointing out commercial alternatives on the platform, it is a fair assessment.

A bad generalization, but a fair assessment.

I still don't get why this (Steam, etc...) is as more of a big deal than the Humble Bundle- which pinned real numbers that actually looked GOOD for Linux gaming and will have as much or more of an impact than this stuff will for the medium-term story on things.
      I'd wager that more people want to play Counter-Strike than Lugaru.

Comment

• Originally posted by ad_267 View Post
        I didn't mean that it would be difficult to port the games so that they run on different distributions, but rather that it would be difficult to provide support for users when they have problems. Just take a look at the Ubuntu forums and the number of users having audio problems with games. It isn't usually something the game developer has done wrong, but rather there's an issue with the driver for their particular hardware or a problem with pulse audio etc. If steam provided a Linux client they'd probably have a lot of Linux users with issues wanting support.
        It's no different than the issues Windows users might have- or that they don't already encounter. I know from experience doing triage and some fixes for one of the Big Two on the OpenGL front under Windows as a contractor. In the end, everyone keeps thinking it's "easy" in the Windows world which is why they do the development- it's not, it's just different.

Comment

• Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
          Considering the number of individuals arguing against copyright on Linux and tech forums and considering the flames that result from people pointing out commercial alternatives on the platform, it is a fair assessment.

A bad generalization, but a fair assessment.
          Being against copyright on Linux and flame-fests do not pirates make.

I'd hesitate to be even claiming a fair assessment.

To be against Copyright does not relate to breaking those rights via infringement either. Heck, the Windows crowd is as bad or worse in that regard (they actually commit infringements, using the same sorts of arguments, which is where they're probably getting the idea we're in with that crowd...)- but yet they don't not make software for the Windows userbase... Size? Hardly. Piracy's just an excuse to NOT do something or to inflict DRM the likes of which EA did with Spore and a few others- or the idiocy Ubisoft's after doing these days.

I'd wager that more people want to play Counter-Strike than Lugaru.
          Indeed. The big thing though is that there is no official statement towards the former yet- and rumors are all well and good, but there's a limit to what you can say about things when you're under NDA or relating a reliable source's statements on things. Once you go past that point, your credibility starts to suffer at least a bit. It's part of why some are calling for apologies, etc. even though they're not yet warranted.

However, there's other big deals that we DO know about that're not getting as much coverage as this bit of what is still pretty vaporous.

Comment

• Originally posted by Qaridarium
            apple just payes valve to not speak abaut the linux version!

michael only send out a NDA Information because valve talks to him abaut the linux clind..

but after that apple comes to valve and now the linux community must wait 1 week longer

valve comes out with the linuc clind be sure michael is just only to fast...

just wait!
            What is realy going on is that Gnome prevents Valve from using Qt and Linus Torvalds himself was hired to work for Apple so he could secretly replace Darwin with Linux and Valve has already made a Linux version but now Linus torvald has to port Gtk to Qt. In order to not raise any suspicion Michael was threatened by Apple lawyers not to tell about the Apple code stealing move and now Obama has ordered to let journalist say that they heared it from Phoronix or else he will throw bombs at the poor people in Africa.

The above made Mark Shuttleworth pee in his pants and made sure the Cult of the Dead Cow would strangle Michael into an NDA because the cDc has the power to block Michaels Ubuntu downloads due to their super bloodshed skillz0rs.

Comment

• Makes perfect sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                What is realy going on is that Gnome prevents Valve from using Qt and Linus Torvalds himself was hired to work for Apple so he could secretly replace Darwin with Linux and Valve has already made a Linux version but now Linus torvald has to port Gtk to Qt. In order to not raise any suspicion Michael was threatened by Apple lawyers not to tell about the Apple code stealing move and now Obama has ordered to let journalist say that they heared it from Phoronix or else he will throw bombs at the poor people in Africa.

The above made Mark Shuttleworth pee in his pants and made sure the Cult of the Dead Cow would strangle Michael into an NDA because the cDc has the power to block Michaels Ubuntu downloads due to their super bloodshed skillz0rs.
                Yep, you exposed it all. The world is now going to end.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

• Why should I want to have DRM on my GNU/Linux box?

Thanks, but no thanks. Actually, I couldn't care less.

Comment

• Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post

Finally! A voice of reason.

Comment

• Thumbs up, V!NCENT, that was cool. I laughed loudly when I read the Obama line. Still, I think you left some stuff out, like Nazis operating from the Antarctica developing Tesla weapons. But sure there will be more opportunities to unveil their plot soon.

Comment

Working...
                      X