Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Remco View Post
    This problem will not be solved until there is one canonical package repository, from which everybody gets the main bulk of their packages. Like how Ubuntu does it now with Debian. I'd say, let Debian be the universal packager, but I guess the RPM folk don't like that.

Then there is the cadence proposal of Shuttleworth, which will make it much easier for ISVs to depend on distribution libraries. But I guess the Ubuntu haters don't like that.
    I will attempt to ignore the trolling comments there....
    Companies can support specific distros quite easily - and this is likely the route Valve will take if they ever decide to officially release Steam for Linux. Unsupported distros are likely to still work, however if a certain library version gets in the way, that's just tough. This is the route AMD have taken with the fglrx drivers.
    There is no need to have some magical repository for all distros - if you'd really like something such as that, go use windows.

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
      if you'd really like something such as that, go use windows.
      This is true. And everyone does. That's the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by pirast View Post
        Linux distributions and the Linux foundation have failed for years in creating a real cross-distribution way to install third party software, which en plus can be updated in a few steps. In 2006, a former member of the packing group wrote that (software installation) "won't suck in the future" (http://ianmurdock.com/linux/software...ration-part-2/). That status quo has not changed since.

What Valve is now basically doing with Steam is pretty smart, as Steam will become THE gaming platform on Linux. Every game-creator who wants his game to be available on Linux will use Steam, because all users who want to play will install Steam first and look at the content that is available there.

Honestly, I do not know if this is that good.
        But basically, the Linux foundation has failed such a thing for years which is a little bit frustrating.
        No, because this would mean next to no money gained for the developers, being held in a jail (steam: you are not allowed to play this game anymore you bought with your hard earned cash because we say so! *evil laugh*), not being able to play without Internet connection (steam: single player? that's for n00bs!) and being riddled by DRM. No, this is definitely not the future, and lucky us it will not be.

Comment

Originally posted by susikala View Post
          Dunno about you, but I'm NOT happy Linux can't get a port of something on its own merit and has to ride the iFag wave. Porting stuff to Apple software could just drive more people to use this horrible evil. :/
          Lol, you think because they charge more for their products yet work hard to re-design lots of elements they are evil? Let me show you something actually evil:

There is nothing wrong with developing for Mac OS as well as Nix/Win. It's coming, so what's the big deal?

There has been plenty of evidence to support that it's coming. Furthermore it is arguably the most requested thing on their forums.

Comment

Steam coming to GNU/Linux is TERRIBLE news, that anyone that values computing freedom of any kind should protest.

Steam heavily uses DRM and Product Activation. While your game isn't linked to your particular computer, it is linked to your Steam account. There is no (legal) way to do a completely offline install of most Steam games, even if they are purchased from a retail outlet in physical packaing. The content of the discs is encrypted, and the Steam client decrypts them (which it won't do if you don't have a Steam account). Bypassing this encryption is illegal in the United States due to the DMCA.

Sure, one could argue that Steam isn't as oppressive as other DRM implimentations. But it is still DRM! I have no objection to proprietary non-free games in GNU/Linux, but only if they can be used without technological restrictions by those that legally and legitimately purchase them.

Steam coming to GNU/Linux will no doubt help bring over more Windows gamers to Linux, which on one hand is possibly a good thing. However if the Linux community starts looking the other way when products are released with DRM and Product Activation, developers will follow the same path they do on Windows and MacOS: they'll start using DRM and Product Activation, because they think customers will put up with it.

I'm tired of people acting like DRM is a way of life that can't be helped. It CAN be stopped, but only if we all stop supporting products that impliment it.

Comment

Originally posted by TwistedLincoln View Post
              Steam coming to GNU/Linux is TERRIBLE news, that anyone that values computing freedom of any kind should protest.

Steam heavily uses DRM and Product Activation. While your game isn't linked to your particular computer, it is linked to your Steam account. There is no (legal) way to do a completely offline install of most Steam games, even if they are purchased from a retail outlet in physical packaing. The content of the discs is encrypted, and the Steam client decrypts them (which it won't do if you don't have a Steam account). Bypassing this encryption is illegal in the United States due to the DMCA.

Sure, one could argue that Steam isn't as oppressive as other DRM implimentations. But it is still DRM! I have no objection to proprietary non-free games in GNU/Linux, but only if they can be used without technological restrictions by those that legally and legitimately purchase them.

Steam coming to GNU/Linux will no doubt help bring over more Windows gamers to Linux, which on one hand is possibly a good thing. However if the Linux community starts looking the other way when products are released with DRM and Product Activation, developers will follow the same path they do on Windows and MacOS: they'll start using DRM and Product Activation, because they think customers will put up with it.

I'm tired of people acting like DRM is a way of life that can't be helped. It CAN be stopped, but only if we all stop supporting products that impliment it.
              Don't like it, don't use it simple as that. What is more important is that you do have a choice vs no choice at all.

Comment

Originally posted by QuaveringGrape View Post
                The problem is OpenGL support. Intel graphics cards perform well enough on Windows for DirectX, but they only support OpenGL hardware acceleration up to OpenGL 1.2. Games like the HL2 series need hardware acceleration to function. Unfortunately, most laptops these days come with Intel GMAs because of cost, and hence some people think that gaming on Linux is a lost cause when the game simply fails to display..
                If you look at the Steam hardware stats only around 5% of the users have Intel, the rest have nVidia or ATI. If you tolerate a laptop with Intel GMA odds are, you either weren't informed about their suckiness, or you don't want to play games. On the Windows platform developers don't send a grain of attention to Intel because with all the effort in the world you could just get things from stills to a slide show, so why bother? It will probably be easier and more rewarding to port to linux than to support Intel GMA.

Comment

Originally posted by koenvdd View Post
                  If you look at the Steam hardware stats only around 5% of the users have Intel, the rest have nVidia or ATI. If you tolerate a laptop with Intel GMA odds are, you either weren't informed about their suckiness, or you don't want to play games. On the Windows platform developers don't send a grain of attention to Intel because with all the effort in the world you could just get things from stills to a slide show, so why bother? It will probably be easier and more rewarding to port to linux than to support Intel GMA.
                  If the Intel drivers on Mac are that bad, okay. I'm still worried that this might mean locking out anyone using Mesa drivers, come the Linux port.

Comment

Originally posted by TwistedLincoln View Post
                    I don't necessarily disagree, but keep in mind that LGP has been releasing native Linux games with DRM for a while now, so it's already here...

Comment

I'm concerned the article is a white lie to see if valve comes up with the truth. Do you know that (slightly off topic) valve has released portal for free until the 24th of May? It might be to try and get people to rush over to steam as soon as possible. Interesting....

Comment

Working...
                      X