Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by numasan View Post
    All games should just be cross platform from start
    Yes they should. But, more likely we'll start seeing games for "PC, Mac and Linux", which is complete BS since what they mean is "Windows, Mac and Linux". Man, I hate so much the whole "PC" when they mean "Windows" shit...

Comment

• Totally agree, I'm sick and tired of the "PC = Windows" notion. Just shows how much Microsoft is monopolizing the Personal Computer... like the Windows-button on all keyboards *ugh*

And yes, a mention of the supported systems on the box is to be expected, I just don't like the idea of 1 box for Windows, 1 box for Linux and 1 box for Mac...

Comment

• Originally posted by numasan View Post
        Same here, I bought the Windows-version to play on Linux, and my "linux friends" did the same back then.
        Shame on you all. Seriously.

Approximately 200-500 units actually sold retail. I happen to have one of the Linux SKUs- because I waited the little bit it took to get into the stores. It was actually very, very important that you bought the Linux version...I'll get to that in just a moment.

If they could track how many players were on Linux online, isn't that the important statistic? Retail boxes with "For Linux" on them seem outdated IMO. All games should just be cross platform from start
        They CAN'T track how many Linux players were online with Q3:A. Wasn't in the design then- and FTP downloads don't count because they're not the same as a CD-Key for the Linux SKU, which isn't the same thing- each and every one of you lot that did that showed up as a Windows sale regardless of which actual OS you are playing with that CD-Key.

You want to know part of the reason they're not cross-platform from the start? What you and your "linux friends" did with Q3:A amongst other things. The studios and publishers looked at that and concluded THEN that there was no real market (If they had the opportunity to play it on Linux, why didn't they BUY it for it?) and it's an image that we're just now shaking off. What transpired with Q3:A is a pet-peeve of mine because of all of that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post

Approximately 200-500 units actually sold retail. I happen to have one of the Linux SKUs- because I waited the little bit it took to get into the stores. It was actually very, very important that you bought the Linux version...I'll get to that in just a moment.

They CAN'T track how many Linux players were online with Q3:A. Wasn't in the design then- and FTP downloads don't count because they're not the same as a CD-Key for the Linux SKU, which isn't the same thing- each and every one of you lot that did that showed up as a Windows sale regardless of which actual OS you are playing with that CD-Key.

You want to know part of the reason they're not cross-platform from the start? What you and your "linux friends" did with Q3:A amongst other things. The studios and publishers looked at that and concluded THEN that there was no real market (If they had the opportunity to play it on Linux, why didn't they BUY it for it?) and it's an image that we're just now shaking off. What transpired with Q3:A is a pet-peeve of mine because of all of that.
          Sure, but that's not a case of consumers being 'bad', it's a case of Loki making a fatal mistake. Don't blame consumers who are actually spending money on a Linux sale when you count them as a Windows sale because you can't track them. Shame on Loki.

Comment

• @Svartalf
            Well to be honest I and my friends wasn't aware of the special Loki pack until years later, and no retail shop sold the Linux version in my country. We bought the "common" version based on the knowledge of binary clients for the previous Quake's, as soon as it was available from id.

Hell yes it sucks that it counts as a "Windows sale", but that's no different than buying a computer from a store and then wipe it to install Linux. It's no use to look at those numbers being in the Linux community, as they are designed to be spun by marketing companies (Microsoft). Saying "1% use x" sounds bad no matter if 1% = 250.000. I won't be held accountable for not swaying EA to develop cross platform. I'm just glad that id made it possible for me to play their games natively on Linux, numbers be damned. Same goes for S2 and Unigine. Because it is possible, no matter what business drones say.

Originally posted by Remco View Post
            Sure, but that's not a case of consumers being 'bad', it's a case of Loki making a fatal mistake. Don't blame consumers who are actually spending money on a Linux sale when you count them as a Windows sale because you can't track them. Shame on Loki.
            ^This

Comment

• I really wish the title of this thread would get changed

it was never official NEVER yet Phoronix keep peddling it as "official"

Comment

• Originally posted by Qaridarium
                they still work on it.
                Whether they are or they are not has nothing todo with the thread title

"Its official, Valve are releasing STEAM for linux"

it was never official

Comment

it was official if you are in they NDA Beta program
                  Having a beta with people under NDA doing testing, or even a production-ready Release Candidate doesn't officially mean you're releasing it

Comment

it was official if you are in they NDA Beta program
                    Then stating "Its official: Valve Releasing Steam" would be in violation on NDA.
                    Either way Phoronix fucked up.

If you remember the original article they were peddling (as official from Valve) that steam was to be released at the end of summer 2010, well thats been and gone and no steam...
                    Also their source that it was coming was a throw away statement in the Telegraph WITH no citation.

Accept it Phoronix fucked up and are too stubborn to admit they jumped the gun. Maybe Valve are (internally) evaluating releasing STEAM for linux, it is all but certain that Valves SOURCE is coming to linux (via Postal3, but even then last min changes could find no linux release) but there really isn't anything public about STEAM.

Had STEAM come at the end of the year instead of the end of summer AND an announcement from VALVE, sure mark that down to release slippage but that isn't the case now is it, Phoronix fucked up and if you read other articles they still stand by its going to be released. Maybe it is Maybe it is BUT IT IS FAR FROM OFFICIAL

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                      Approximately 200-500 units actually sold retail.... What transpired with Q3:A is a pet-peeve of mine because of all of that.
                      Hmmm... i might be the only person who never played Q3A till i bought one of the metal packs Loki produced.

Anyway, ef-ing DNF is gonna be out the door soon. Rockin'
                      Perhaps Phoronix will change this topic title to celebrate ? (If that makes any sense).

Comment

Working...
                      X