Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by devius View Post
    Soon enough a self-aware artificial intelligence system will start turning the machines against us and the only chance for mankind is to send one of us back to the past to prevent....
    Someone first has to finish the code to create timemachine.ko.

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      As a part time farmer, I just couldn't let that one slip by unchecked. Farming is very computer dependent nowdays especially as the small family farm is disappearing in favor of the larger "mega-farm" operations.
      Heh... I can relate. I raise horses as a part-time endeavor myself.

Comment

Basically computers are everywhere, and we just don't notice them anymore. Soon enough a self-aware artificial intelligence system will start turning the machines against us and the only chance for mankind is to send one of us back to the past to prevent....
        Either that or "the One" will come along and save us...

Comment

Basically computers are everywhere, and we just don't notice them anymore. Soon enough a self-aware artificial intelligence system will start turning the machines against us and the only chance for mankind is to send one of us back to the past to prevent....
          When we will send people to the past they have already done the things in the past and failed, leading to sending them back in time later on. This leads us to the conclusion that in case such an event would take place we couldn't affect it in any way. And that'd also prove free will to be non-existent as the future had already happened.

I wonder how this conversation got so off-topic. Oh well.

Comment

• a hint ?

on the development page of the Trine-game the following could be found ...

well I`m not shure what this means, but maybe we will be surprised ...

just to get back to the topic ;-)

Comment

• Originally posted by snowder View Post
              on the development page of the Trine-game the following could be found ...

well I`m not shure what this means, but maybe we will be surprised ...

just to get back to the topic ;-)
              No word on Steam there. This does mean nothing.

Comment

• that frozenbytes hint of whatever sounds promising.
                what else could they be suggesting? desura?

Comment

• yes, reading the frozenbyte posts, this really looks promising ..

Comment

• So i was speaking to a valve sales person and i asked why there is so little thought being put into the development of steam for linux based Distros, He told me this was not always the case but the thought died out as we could not see strong enough support to make it economical and the general vibe is that people who use linux based stuff will just pirate our games and hack our platform. So my question to you is this, 1. Is there a way to show how much we want gaming to properly come to

what do you guys think about this?

Comment

• In a group as small as 5 people, there is often one person whom is out of the loop already. (This is based on team experiences)

So I don't know what is going on there...

Me, I have not bought a valve game since I had to struggle, and bleed blood to get Half-Life 2 to work. My experience was so bad, that even though all my friends practically demand I play some of their newer games, I haven't played any Valve game since. Actually it was more a boycott of Steam, as I have never installed it on my last 2 pc's.
                      But, if Steam came out for Linux... I'd consider testing the waters again.

Plus with Valve, when releasing Steam for Mac, a lot of the Mac users already had Steam accounts. So maybe they saw less interest there than expected. (Or less revenue for the interest)
                      So, Piracy would not be the issue, I think. More like they could possibly expect every user whom would install Steam for Linux already had it on their Windows systems.

I wonder if Michael is going to enquire for us?

Comment

Working...
                      X