Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Almindor View Post
    No they don't. I had to fix libopenal.so.1 to libopenal.so.0 on many occasions with 3d FPS games to get them to work. I bought And Yet It Moves and it works "now" but I expect it to break a few distro releases later. Don't know Osmos.
    I'd note that you fixed it wrong. You're very lucky that it works at all. libopenal.so.0 -> libopenal.so.1 signifies that a version change broke the ABI.

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      A denial breaks NDA's as well as a confirmation. When a NDA is in place the only allowed answer is "no comment".
      Lol, no

NDA stands for non-disclosure agreement. Well they didn't disclose anything; not the existance, nor absense. They didn't say "There is a/no Linux client in the making", but they said "There is no Linux version that we are working on right now".

Comment

• (the right fix would obviously consist of shipping legacy compat libraries of an older OpenAL version)

Comment

• Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
          "There is no Linux version that we are working on right now".
          If you want a loophole from that statement, I'd be more on the "There is no Linux version that we are working on right now." interpretation. They might have outsourced it. You'd have to hear the original voice recording to figure out exactly what he said.

Comment

• Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
            (the right fix would obviously consist of shipping legacy compat libraries of an older OpenAL version)
            that's why they should release the source code of the game some years... Just like ID soft does and how the Humble thing did!

Comment

• Originally posted by Setlec View Post
              that's why they should release the source code of the game some years... Just like ID soft does and how the Humble thing did!
              Yes, that's ideologically the right fix. Functionally the right fix is to provide libraries with the version of ABI's that the closed source program requires since recompiling it against newer versions of the libraries is not feasible.

Comment

• Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                If you want a loophole from that statement, I'd be more on the "There is no Linux version that we are working on right now." interpretation. They might have outsourced it. You'd have to hear the original voice recording to figure out exactly what he said.
                No that's not what I meant. People always say things because of some other things, like in this case a question, and they do it in a way that it's the result of their own memmory. Memmory equals knowledge and knowledge about the subject of Linux porting is used to answer the question.

The replay was "There is no Linux version that we are working on right now"
                So let me break it down:
                "There is no Linux version that"
                This is interesting; "that"? implies there actualy is a Linux client, otherwise you couldn't "that" on it. If there wasn't one then he would say "There is no Linux client" followed by something else or a new sentence.
                "we are working on" simply refers to the question "Are you working on... ?", so no info here.
                "right now" means not now, but "the past" and "not canceled as of this moment".

So what they were working on at that time was not the Linux client of Steam, so something else, but there is a Linux version of the Steam client which has been worked on and it is not cancelled, but delayed. Now take a look at Michael his last post in the thread and that matches. Also combine this with previous experiences of Michael's inside info 'predictions' that was 'leaked' info and if that makes you not believe in a Linux client of Steam then... well what does? :P

Comment

Lol, no

NDA stands for non-disclosure agreement. Well they didn't disclose anything; not the existance, nor absense. They didn't say "There is a/no Linux client in the making", but they said "There is no Linux version that we are working on right now".
                  I am very aware what NDA's stand for. Read what you typed. "There is a/no Linux client in the making" and "There is no Linux version that we are working on right now" are the exact same things.
                  Neither of them excludes the possibitity of future endevours but are both present tense comments referring to the state of development. Both comments can be held accountable on behalf of the company. This is one of the major reasons why NDA's exist, NDA's are not only used to keep internal secrets but they are primarily in place to prevent any employee to give the appearence that they are speaking on behalf of the company because when they do make a comment the company can be held liable for their comments as well as effect profitability of the company especially in a publically traded one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Setlec View Post
                    @Gokumon: i feel like talking to a wall, nevermind!
                    Then learn to read and comprehend better. You keep claiming I don't get things, but I understand completely. Valve says they are not currently working on a client. You've said this and so have I. Michael on the other hand claimed both in May and a day ago that Valve is is working on a client. Despite all your weasel-wording, only one of those statements can be true

Comment

No that's not what I meant. People always say things because of some other things, like in this case a question, and they do it in a way that it's the result of their own memmory. Memmory equals knowledge and knowledge about the subject of Linux porting is used to answer the question.

The replay was "There is no Linux version that we are working on right now"
                      So let me break it down:
                      "There is no Linux version that"
                      This is interesting; "that"? implies there actualy is a Linux client, otherwise you couldn't "that" on it. If there wasn't one then he would say "There is no Linux client" followed by something else or a new sentence.
                      Wow, you have a poor interpretation of the english language. That does not imply that there is a client at all. Case and point "There are no three headed hydras that we know of."

"right now" means not now, but "the past" and "not canceled as of this moment".
                      "Right now" also means they have not excluded the possiblity. Nothing more nothing less.

"Right now, there are no three headed hydras that we know of."

So what they were working on at that time was not the Linux client of Steam, so something else, but there is a Linux version of the Steam client which has been worked on and it is not cancelled, but delayed.
                      There is nothing in the statement that implies a delay, past efforts, some coder screwing around, copied code or cancelation. That is all pure speculation on your part.

Now take a look at Michael his last post in the thread and that matches. Also combine this with previous experiences of Michael's inside info 'predictions' that was 'leaked' info and if that makes you not believe in a Linux client of Steam then... well what does? :P
                      We can also look at past articles like UT3 which confirmed it was coming to linux, was still coming to linux and then cancelled.

Comment

Working...
                      X