Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
    Following your logic both our points are probable: developers could work in their free or work time on a poc/mockup.

To summarize your arguments:
    - on valve's site was somekind of poc/mockup
    - this software was either in free or work time developed
    - de software was put on their website
    - the binairies on their website have been altered to get it running better by some people (who probably own windows machines as well).
    - Altering the software is a good reason to hold the linux release because its now 'proven' people will hack their software without a second though.

the last point is what I don't see (yet). I don't see why releasing a linux client would increase the risk compared to windows. Sure the linux code is open and a running binairy can be analysed better, but this is no different from any other binairies including the drivers from nvidia or ait, etc. There are way around this.

Besides the recent events, there's still is no reason to hold any planned releases. The original benefits should still be the same, while there are no new risks introduced (The software was not that exciting).
    Also, I'd like to show statistics from the Humble Bundle (if someone hasn't already).
    This was a pack of 4 games which you can buy at any price over a dollar.

Not only did on average. Linux users paid MORE for the games, but they also spent more money than the people on Macs.

Yes, most Linux users know how to pirate things. That doesn't mean that they will.

Comment

• This is correct and I don't think the majority of Linux people are crackers or alike. The problem is more how it looks like. We are starting with a -10 in this battle since Linux (Un*x in general) is looked at as a hacker paradise. Uninformed people see us as the bad guys (hence -10). So if a windows binary gets hacked it looks different to them (starting at +10 opinion or something like that) while with a hacked Linux binary hell breaks loose (as their opinion is already on -10). That's the nasty psychology behind this problem. That's like America. If a white persons steals an apple it is not going to get them lots of troubles, maybe not even looked after. If a black person though steals an apple is handled like he did some really serious crime. Here it's the same just that Windows are the whites and Linux the blacks. So if you look at this problematics look at it from this analogy to get the idea why we have to play differently than the Windows guys. It's unfair but if we want to get somewhere we have to handle this handicap the right way. And this is not to steal the apple even if we intended to polish it up. Police won't believe that.

Comment

• Guys, if you want to speed up the process, go apply to work at Valve. They are looking for more Linux developers at the moment. All this speculation about why it's still not out is nonsense.

Comment

• Hold on! I'm getting a psychic vision guys!
          *prrrrrrrrrrr*
          Yes...! tmpdir is from the Netherlands. No wait... that has got nothing to do with it... Oh yes! Valve is creating a Steam client!

Comment

• Maybe you should really stop smocking that weed...

Comment

• Originally posted by d2kx View Post
              Guys, if you want to speed up the process, go apply to work at Valve. They are looking for more Linux developers at the moment. All this speculation about why it's still not out is nonsense.
              This thread consists of 14 pages of gossip. Most of us decided on page two to ignore this thread or take part in this gossip for fun.

Don't take it so seriously, were just making fun here

Comment

• Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                Hold on! I'm getting a psychic vision guys!
                *prrrrrrrrrrr*
                Yes...! tmpdir is from the Netherlands. No wait... that has got nothing to do with it... Oh yes! Valve is creating a Steam client!

(stupid 10 char rule...)

Comment

• Originally posted by mirv View Post
                  somewhere back in the thread, yes. It's old news, and is probably more about dedicated servers than anything else.
                  I know it's a couple of days old but I just wanted to point out that on the job descriptions it states "Port Windows-based games to the Linux platform." they weren't referring to servers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jack45073 View Post
                    I know it's a couple of days old but I just wanted to point out that on the job descriptions it states "Port Windows-based games to the Linux platform." they weren't referring to servers.
                    And how do you know, if I might ask? The only thing to come out of Valve for Linux are dedicated servers, and there have been notes to that job posting (or others like it) in the past. The bulk of the job description also talks about networking - so it may have nothing to do with actual games at all.

Comment

• And how do you know, if I might ask?
                      Because Michael said so on his blog. And we all know that Michael wouldn't twist the facts to increase page hits and bring in new people that aren't blocking his ads.

Comment

Working...
                      X