Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nevertell
    replied
    This is not funny!

Leave a comment:

• Tares
    replied
    I hope steam will finally be here. Its been a year already since I have my hopes high

Anyway I never understood why companies which have native OSX programs version don't want to move it to the Linux. It is basically the same system under the hood.

Leave a comment:

• mirv
    replied
    Originally posted by Desti View Post
    The new game should compete with Battlefield and CoD, that's simply impossibly with the old Source engine.
    Marketing speak does not translate into software code.

Leave a comment:

• Desti
    replied
    Originally posted by Moller View Post
    Might that Source Engine have Linux support?

There are no infos about it, but when they are working on a new one, it would make no sense to keep working on the old and that means there will be no Half-Life 2 Source for Linux forever.

Leave a comment:

• Desti
    replied
    Originally posted by mirv View Post
    I really should leave this thread alone....
    Nothing in that link suggests a new engine, just a new game.
    Interesting news perhaps, but not related in any way to Linux.

The new game should compete with Battlefield and CoD, that's simply impossibly with the old Source engine.

Leave a comment:

• mirv
    replied
    I really should leave this thread alone....
    Nothing in that link suggests a new engine, just a new game.
    Interesting news perhaps, but not related in any way to Linux.

Leave a comment:

• Moller
    replied
    Originally posted by Desti View Post
    Looks like Valve had made a brand new Source Engine: http://techreport.com/discussions.x/21454
    Might that Source Engine have Linux support?

Leave a comment:

• Desti
    replied
    Looks like Valve had made a brand new Source Engine: http://techreport.com/discussions.x/21454

Leave a comment:

• sweetrose80
    replied
    It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

I'll only cheer when I see this on a Valve site.

Leave a comment:

• RussianNeuroMancer
    replied
    Originally posted by imamdxl View Post
    I dont understand this, Valve's Source engine is not even ported to OpenGL renderer for Mac, what they used instead used a OpenGL wrapper to the engine pretty much like WINE and Cedega (I hope it is not WINE). The engine still itself interects with DirectX.
    That's why they did not provide OpenGL renderer for Source engine games on Windows like Blizzard Entertainment's game, which is pretty much same thing, will cause additional overhead instead of increasing performance.

If their engine is not native to the specific platform than We can use WINE instead.

Cheers.
    WINE doesn't support multithreading version of Source Engine, so it's important to have native one (even if it will use some wrapper).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X