Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The answer is simple: "freedom". More there is not to say. Poking holes in a boat only makes it sink sooner or later and that's what happens with OS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
      The answer is simple: "freedom". More there is not to say. Poking holes in a boat only makes it sink sooner or later and that's what happens with OS.
      So what are the "holes" in your metaphor?

Comment

• Can you explain to me (in simple terms, I am stupid) why the GPL doesn't let you edit the source code and puts it "behind a glass cube"?

It would be interesting for me to know, since I do often edit and modify GPL code.

Comment

• I lick only the purple ones.

I can only hope.
          RBEU #1000000000 - Registered Bad English User

Comment

• Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
            Can you explain to me (in simple terms, I am stupid) why the GPL doesn't let you edit the source code and puts it "behind a glass cube"?

It would be interesting for me to know, since I do often edit and modify GPL code.
            GPL has been made by the FSF. I talked about OS allowing undermining, not the GPL or the FSF.

Comment

• But GPL, LGPL, BSD and MIT/X11 are the most popular licenses, and all of them are certified both as Open Source licenses (by the OSI) and Free Software licenses (by the FSF). When people talk about Open Source, they generally mean one of these licenses.

In the context of Linux, this thread, games on Linux, drivers on Linux, and pretty much any other context, "Open Source" refers to one of these licenses.

I prefer the term "Free Software", but I always run into problems with people thinking of freebies and malware from the internet, so I will sometimes use the term "Open Source" to avoid confusion. I don't think that you "hate freedom" if you talk about "Open Source", just because the OSI has certified a couple of questionable licenses which nobody uses.

Comment

• FSF says that you should not use the LGPL if you can avoid it. It is not as 'free' as the GPL in FSF speak.

On the same time they endorse GNOME and not KDE - while the later is based on GPL'ed qt and not lgpl'ed gtk.

So much about FSF honesty.

Comment

• Does the FSF really endorse GNOME officially nowadays?

I had a feeling that they really didn't care anymore, after the objective (free KDE) was accomplished.

Comment

• Originally posted by energyman View Post
                    FSF says that you should not use the LGPL if you can avoid it. It is not as 'free' as the GPL in FSF speak.

On the same time they endorse GNOME and not KDE - while the later is based on GPL'ed qt and not lgpl'ed gtk.

So much about FSF honesty.
                    Very funny.

Comment

• for years they attacked KDE for not being free enough. Now that KDE is much 'Free-er' than gnome they just dropped the subject.

But FSF is also accepting donations from companies making money with 'evil' software. What can you expect from them?

Comment

Working...
                      X