Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GNU/Blind View Post
    http://frashtips.blogspot.com/2010/0...ster-x-fi.html might help you on your way. Oh man all this to configure sound, wish sound was easy in Linux.
    I'll have a look at this. The problem is though not linux sound system. With the onboard Realtek chip this all works properly (5.1 I mean). It's the X-fi part which is the problem which is again not directly the fault of the ALSA devs but Creative thinking they are so fucking 1337 that they don't have to disclose specs to the linux devers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
      I'll have a look at this. The problem is though not linux sound system. With the onboard Realtek chip this all works properly (5.1 I mean). It's the X-fi part which is the problem which is again not directly the fault of the ALSA devs but Creative thinking they are so fucking 1337 that they don't have to disclose specs to the linux devers.
      Creative is sold out to M$, don't buy their products.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
        Creative is sold out to M$, don't buy their products.
        It's a pity though. Good old SB16 had great support under Linux as well as later products (emu10k I think is the name). I don't know why they had to go down that route.

Comment

• Steam is the ultimate destination for playing, discussing, and creating games.

There are no plans to create a native Linux Steam Client at this time.

Although the Steam Client is not available for Linux, there is a native Linux version of the Half-Life Dedicated Server available.

The best source of information on this product is the Steampowered.com Linux Server Forum:
          Linux Dedicated Server

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
            It's a pity though. Good old SB16 had great support under Linux as well as later products (emu10k I think is the name). I don't know why they had to go down that route.
            True, and who knows for sure but I think it was both DRM and M$ that helped encourage it. Making Vista and Win7 drivers really took a lot of wind from their sails due to the difficulty I think.

Comment

• You realise that is a standard support page right? If they do port it then they will change it, that page has probably been there forever.

It's the same as the emails they reply to people with, they cannot tell you it is coming until Valve officially announce it via their website.

To which they haven't so a call bullcrap on phoronix apparent "Confirmation" of Steam on Linux.

Comment

• Originally posted by liamdawe View Post
                To which they haven't so a call bullcrap on phoronix apparent "Confirmation" of Steam on Linux.
                It's not black and white like that, Phoronix second-hand confirmed it via the telegraph, people have called/emailed and confirmed that the telegraph got their info from valve. So yes, no announcement... but a quasi confirmation.

Comment

• Originally posted by thebwt View Post
                  It's not black and white like that, Phoronix second-hand confirmed it via the telegraph, people have called/emailed and confirmed that the telegraph got their info from valve. So yes, no announcement... but a quasi confirmation.
                  No, my confirmation or sources are not The Telegraph. I simply linked to The Telegraph as another place that has also confirmed this information, albeit I have had my sources on the matter much longer than they have.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    No, my confirmation or sources are not The Telegraph. I simply linked to The Telegraph as another place that has also confirmed this information, albeit I have had my sources on the matter much longer than they have.
                    I retract my claim then.

Comment

• After installing L4D via Steam on my computer, I was not able to play L4D without Steam running. It is required that you log in to run L4D.

This is DRM. Do not pay for Steam games. You shouldn't have to ask for permission to play your own games.

No shocker to most of you, but just saying.

Comment

Working...
                      X