Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Larian View Post
    I just went to the trouble to fish that out. It's the same information - word for word - as posted above. I didn't see him mention anything but that they've got their fingers in a lot of pots and that supporting a Linux client is a manpower issue.

Gabe never said "we're not doing one so leave us alone about this." In fact, he said that they wanted to have a Linux client.

...Then again he mentioned that he says a lot of things and can't remember them all, too.
    The fact that he said he wants to do a Linux version is great, but they aren't doing so currently, it makes me wander where exactly Mike pulls his info from to constantly say Steam is confirmed and it's coming.

Fact is we have it from the top level, the CEO stating clear as day he would like to, but they can't at the moment due to manpower.

Maybe Mike should make a post stating he was wrong to clear his name a little...

I am glad i'm not the only one who thinks Mike is extremely premature with his statements.

Comment

• Originally posted by liamdawe View Post
      The fact that he said he wants to do a Linux version is great, but they aren't doing so currently, it makes me wander where exactly Mike pulls his info from to constantly say Steam is confirmed and it's coming.

Fact is we have it from the top level, the CEO stating clear as day he would like to, but they can't at the moment due to manpower.
      They want (fact #1).
      They have a manpower problem (fact #2).
      They hired more Linux developpers (fact #3).
      Gabe didn't say what they are working on (fact #4).
      Gabe didn't say what would not be worked on (fact #5).
      Michael is still credible for his AMD open source info and has not been denied the Valve info from the Valve CEO (fact #6).
      Michael never made any other inside claims (fact #7).
      Valve is known for never meeting deadlines, ever (fact #8).

So... we're still in the dark (fact #9). Yet people start to make all kinds of conclusions (fact #10).

Comment

• Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
        They want (fact #1).
        They have a manpower problem (fact #2).
        They hired more Linux developpers (fact #3).
        Gabe didn't say what they are working on (fact #4).
        Gabe didn't say what would not be worked on (fact #5).
        Michael is still credible for his AMD open source info and has not been denied the Valve info from the Valve CEO (fact #6).
        Michael never made any other inside claims (fact #7).
        Valve is known for never meeting deadlines, ever (fact #8).

So... we're still in the dark (fact #9). Yet people start to make all kinds of conclusions (fact #10).
        Fact 1 - correct.

Fact 2 - correct

Fact 3 - There is no information from any source to say if valve has actually hired any more Linux relating devs yet or not.

Fact 4 - True but again he did state they aren't working on a Linux version yet.
        Quote for a little help from Gabe:
        "So for example on Linux, we obviously would like to have a Linux client and we’d like to have our games running on Linux, a lot of our— I mean our servers run on Linux, so we’ve been supporting Linux since ‘98 in terms of having server support, but whenever we look at that we have to compare that with “Okay, well we can spend that time making the Mac version better, or the Windows version better, or the 360″
        If from that quote you somehow in someway think there's a client already coming then you are not only speculating yourself...but you aren't reading from that quote.

The bit in bold is highlighted to show you that what he is saying is no we aren't making one yet because we look at it like "we can spend our time making this better instead" that is what he is saying, nothing more, people are looking into it with too much hope, i'm trying to bring people back to earth here.

Fact 5 - Yeah but the point is the above.

Fact 6 - Not really since everything Mike posts is public knowledge if you know where to look, doesn't make him credible for posting public info.

Fact 7 -Yes he did, he constantly stated it had been confirmed when it had not, he gave us a month "June" in one of his articles and said his "inside sources" had told him it was being worked on...did you read through all of his articles properly?

Fact 8 - Hah yeah that's very true dude.

Fact 9 - We are still quite in the dark yes but refer to again fact 4.

Comment

• but whenever we look at that we have to compare that with ?Okay, well we can spend that time making the Mac version better, or the Windows version better, or the 360″
          Yes but that is more or less 'defining problems to explain further'. Leaving out the rest does make it a very compelling answer to believe he makes a point. Sadly he is not.

I'm not saying I have evidence that it is comming, just that nothing is 100% certain.

Comment

• What's with the delusion here? So, Gabe Newell is saying: "Steam for Linux could become a reality in the future?" No! Apparently your ability to read between the lines is terribly underdeveloped. Because he's really saying: "Yeah, we could make Steam for Linux, but we won't, as there are other platforms which actually make a profit for us." Perhaps ask again when Ubuntu has the 200 millions of users cult leader Shuttleworth is spouting about.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheComrade View Post
              What's with the delusion here? So, Gabe Newell is saying: "Steam for Linux could become a reality in the future?" No! Apparently your ability to read between the lines is terribly underdeveloped. Because he's really saying: "Yeah, we could make Steam for Linux, but we won't, as there are other platforms which actually make a profit for us." Perhaps ask again when Ubuntu has the 200 millions of users cult leader Shuttleworth is spouting about.
              The problem with reading between the lines is that you tend to find whatever you want in between them. What you're saying is one possible interpretation. If he wanted to make such a point, I'm not sure he would be saying things in such a way as to leave possibilities open. I prefer to stick to what Mr. Newell actually said: they'd love to have a Linux client (among other things) and there is more to do than they have the manpower to finish. ANY project they undertake is done at the expense of others they could be doing.

Now I must ask, are you a shill for some company? It looks like you made an account just to call people deluded and poison the well here.

Welcome to Phoronix, by the way.

Comment

The problem with reading between the lines is that you tend to find whatever you want in between them. What you're saying is one possible interpretation. If he wanted to make such a point, I'm not sure he would be saying things in such a way as to leave possibilities open. I prefer to stick to what Mr. Newell actually said: they'd love to have a Linux client (among other things) and there is more to do than they have the manpower to finish. ANY project they undertake is done at the expense of others they could be doing.

Now I must ask, are you a shill for some company? It looks like you made an account just to call people deluded and poison the well here.

Welcome to Phoronix, by the way.
                What he DOESN'T say though is that they could easily should hire a dedicated linux dev or two. It's not like they're hurting for money and on the verge of bankruptcy.

Comment

• Originally posted by KameZero View Post
                  What he DOESN'T say though is that they could easily should hire a dedicated linux dev or two. It's not like they're hurting for money and on the verge of bankruptcy.
                  Mr. Newell strikes me as a person that just doesn't play games with words. If he likes something, you know. If he doesn't, you know that too. (I give you his longstanding position on the PlayStation3 as an example - it wasn't exactly subtle.) If Valve didn't want to develop for Linux I have a feeling it would be revealed in an unambiguous statement like "we have no interest in developing a Linux client and it's never going to happen. Sorry about that."

In the most recent podcast interview that started all this up again, Newell himself broached the Linux subject completely unprompted (apparently). And he didn't stamp the fire out, either. He merely explained that they want the client and they have to put things off to get other things done. When you couple this with the Linux client known to have existed in early stages of development, it is encouraging in a Charlie Brown-esque, long suffering kind or way.

Besides, hasn't Valve been publicly asking for Linux developers on their website for a while now?

Comment

Besides, hasn't Valve been publicly asking for Linux developers on their website for a while now?
                    For server development.

Comment

• Oh dude, f*** me, I just read this. I should be around here more often. WTF, I still can't believe it. Now I don't know if I love or hate Valve. Guess I love them...

OMG OMGOOMGMGOMGOMGOMGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X