Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At This Rate, Don't Be Surprised If You See Steam Soon

Phoronix: At This Rate, Don't Be Surprised If You See Steam Soon

Just a few hours ago we reported on the progress by those within the Phoronix community working to get the Steam client running as much as possible based upon Valve's Steam Linux binaries that are inconspicuously housed on their servers. By making some modifications to the Steam client binary and libraries, as of this morning they are up to the point of displaying the main Steam UI window. Just hours after that, the Steam Friends' UI is now being partially drawn along with other windows...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

nice...but the only one who actually "ports" steam to linux is the phoronix community (or parts of them). Not Valve. I doubt that there ever was a "real" linux client. Instead I believe that from the beginning, ppl were hacking the mac client and ported it to linux...

Comment

Ahhh... people just has too much time to lose...

Comment

Incorrect. Linux needs "real" solutions and software not badly ported stuff which is held together by tons of duct tape and crumbles as soon as blow upon it.

Comment

By the way... who needs a sucking steam client when there is Desura. Requires just the Linux client but they have it planed for once the client itself is stable.

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
            nice...but the only one who actually "ports" steam to linux is the phoronix community (or parts of them). Not Valve. I doubt that there ever was a "real" linux client. Instead I believe that from the beginning, ppl were hacking the mac client and ported it to linux...
            And how do you think id software started porting their titles to Linux and where the GPL open sourcing came from?

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
              Right, except that you can download the binaries from Valve and confirm for yourself that they are ELF?

Comment

Just because it's ELF doesn't make it a "real" linux client.

Comment

It makes it a real Linux binary, not a Mac one.

Comment

Maybe there is a chance for close-beta client on 12th May ?

Comment

Working...
                    X