X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BlueKoala
    replied
    Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
    I just can't wait to see all this really working! We must all be thankful to Valve if they really do it. Their move might start the "Linux gaming scene".
    Linux gaming scene is there. You just have to look for it :P

Leave a comment:

• bulletxt
    replied
    I just can't wait to see all this really working! We must all be thankful to Valve if they really do it. Their move might start the "Linux gaming scene".

Leave a comment:

• d2kx
    replied
    Originally posted by LiquidAcid View Post
    Porting Steam over to one of the various linux GUI toolkits is a no-brainer when comparing it to writing a robust OpenGL backend for the Source engine.

Wake me up once this OpenGL backend is here (and hopefully it's not some wrapper using wine code *g*).
    Steam does not use "one of the various Linux GUI toolkits". It is done without GTK/Qt, natively for Linux/X11. Serious stuff.

Also if want to see the OpenGL stuff, go buy a Mac and download the leaked stuff or let someone lend you a Beta account.

Leave a comment:

• dextro
    replied
    Yeah, and so? Just a press release, you get these a lot these days. I'm waiting for something real before going all crazy like some guys here
    Listen I also don't believe in Steam for Linux (at least not for a few years) but what I do know is that Source on OpenGL is true and it exists right now in beta form.

Leave a comment:

• BlueKoala
    replied
    Yeah, and so? Just a press release, you get these a lot these days. I'm waiting for something real before going all crazy like some guys here
    You'll get it I promise. Please stop raining on our parade :P

Leave a comment:

• LiquidAcid
    replied

Leave a comment:

• dextro
    replied
    I could believe the "Steam & Games for Mac" bit, since Peggle Extreme doesn't really need a HW accelerator

I'm going to change my mind concerning the OpenGL backend once we've proof in our hands. So far we've just seen the native Steam client. Porting Steam over to one of the various linux GUI toolkits is a no-brainer when comparing it to writing a robust OpenGL backend for the Source engine.

Wake me up once this OpenGL backend is here (and hopefully it's not some wrapper using wine code *g*).
    Man just read will you? Valve to Deliver Steam & Source on the Mac

... "We looked at a variety of methods to get our games onto the Mac and in the end decided to go with native versions rather than emulation," said John Cook, Director of Steam Development. "The inclusion of WebKit into Steam, and of OpenGL into Source gives us a lot of flexibility in how we move these technologies forward." ...

Leave a comment:

• LiquidAcid
    replied
    I could believe the "Steam & Games for Mac" bit, since Peggle Extreme doesn't really need a HW accelerator

I'm going to change my mind concerning the OpenGL backend once we've proof in our hands. So far we've just seen the native Steam client. Porting Steam over to one of the various linux GUI toolkits is a no-brainer when comparing it to writing a robust OpenGL backend for the Source engine.

Leave a comment:

• BlueKoala
    replied
    Originally posted by d2kx View Post
    The plan is to officially launch Steam & Source Engine & Games for Mac in the next week, not 1-2 months.
    My guess is that they've already had it for months and once it was working properly they made the OSX announcement.

On a side note; Postal 3 is also in the works. It should be full of lol's
    Quote from wiki:

"A new concept of weapon is a test lab monkey which will react to a laser pointed by the Postal Dude."

"... there will be "special vehicles" in the game such as Segways."

Leave a comment:

• dextro
    replied
    Originally posted by d2kx View Post
    The plan is to officially launch Steam & Source Engine & Games for Mac in the next week, not 1-2 months.
    I guess that could happen or...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X